close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

mercury 50 hp 4-stroke

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by saugey, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Thinking of buying a boat that has a Mercury 50 hp EFI 4-stroke electric start. I need help in my decision, can anyone give me pros or cons on this type of motor? Any help would be appreciated.

2. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

not much we can say ,just like ford/chevy. i run a 2000 40 hp evinrude. all good motors should run flawlessly for a long time. it is how they have been treated in the past as how they will act in the future,just like a woman.

3. i prefer 2 strokes but that just me

4. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

the 4 strokes are nice ....no oil mixing and no fumes when trolling and they idle down real low for trolling without fouling plugs.wish i had a 4 stroke.

5. Astro1700

Astro1700 Member

I have a Mercury 50 hp Bigfoot on my pontoon. I love this motor because it's quiet, powerful, and starts when the key is turned. The newer turn key models are amazing all you do is squeeze the fuel bulb and go. I have a merc 150 2 stroke on my Astro and it's great but much more involved in getting her running. I would recomend the Merc 50 if that's enough motor for ya. Good luck.

6. I've had mine close to 5 years now. No problems, just change the lubes and spark plugs and go. Duck hunting @ - o to 100 degrees chasing cats never failed to start. Pushes my 16ft Lund as fast as I need to go..

Sliprig