close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Mercury 4hp water pump?

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by Ranger4x4, Jul 20, 2004.

1. Well I'll be starting up the Evinrude 5hp this weekend with dad to see how it runs. I'm thinking it probably does not have reverse so now I'm considering fixing his old mercury 4hp. I'm just wondering if anyone has a rough idea how difficult and expensive it would be to fix it myself. Someone had told us before that the water pump was bad on it, and I assume it wouldn't be too hard to find a replacement kit. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. ncraft150

ncraft150 Buckeye-Basser

Water pump kits are anywhere around $30(for my 35 hp merc any way). It is fairly easy for the do-it-yourselfer. Get a repair manual and follow the instructions.

3. Hey Nate go to Miller Marine in Shreve and get the pump and I'll help you if needed...... Rich

4. Thanks guys, I'll be getting fuel at charles mill so I'll probably just check out there marina for the kit, but I'll go to shreve if it ain't at charles mill. The motor is at my dad's place, 45 minute drive. From the serial number he gave me I determined its a 1971 Merc40, and the pump kit is about $18 for it. I'll let you know if I need help with the pump Rich. Right now I'm thinking about what the best way would be to mount lights on the boat once I've got it lake-worthy.