Merc 9.9 bigfoot

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by bigfish73, May 3, 2008.

1. Hi Everyone!

I orderd a merc 9.9 to use a a kicker on my boat. When I pick the motor up it was 9.9 bigfoot. Is there any + or - to having the bigfoot over a standard 9.9 merc.

Thanks, Bigfish73

2. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

Is it the Pro Kicker...? Is so, it has a longer shaft than a regular 9.9 and a high thrust 4 blade propeller included. It's design as a kicker motor whereas a regular 9.9 is meant for primary powering of smaller watercraft.

3. Do you think that I'll be happy with the bigfoot for trolling, and on inland lakes with a 10 hp limit? I have a 18ft crestliner.

Thanks, Bigfish73

4. The Bigfoot is geared lower, and is designed as a kicker motor. It also comes equipped with a high thrust four blade prop, as Hook mentioned. The difference between the Bigfoot and the Pro Kicker is that the Pro Kicker has power tilt.

If you're using it as a kicker motor, it's top notch. If you're looking to power a smaller boat, go with a regular 9.9 motor.

5. Do you know if there would be a big difference in how fast it would move the boat.

Thanks, Bigfish73

6. I have a bass tracker 175 pro team that have the 9.9 bigfoot the speed is slow but i buy it to fish 9.9 lakes and it handle great it has more power the regular 9.9 motor on take off i love mind.

7. The gearing on the BF is 2.42:1, whereas a regular 9.9 is 2.08:1

The BigFoot will be slower, how much I don't know. My Pro Kicker will push my 18'er at 5.9 mph topped out.

If you're using it exclusively as a kicker, the BigFoot is the way to go.

8. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

This is good info, I do remember reading this now that you mentioned it.

9. Thanks for the info. I'll will be using it as a kicker for trolling, sometimes on 10hp limit lakes.

Bigfish73

10. I just bought a 18ft suntracker pontoon (pick it up fri) and Tracker boats put the bigfoot on all there pontoons.They told me it move the boat alot beter with less throttle use.

11. Rob

Rob Crappietracker

I have a 04 Tracker Targa WT with a 90 and a 9.9 Bigfoot w/ the high thrust 4 blade prop. It's great for trolling/backtrolling but top speed is about 7 mph. There's no way I'd recommend this for a primary motor but it's awesome on gas and for trolling and the 10hp restricted lakes. Good luck,

Rob