Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I clean boats at MHYC on the lagoons. I have seen a few good sized catfish snatching bait off of the surface. There has also been a few guys casting for bass around the point there in small bass boats. I personally have never fished it, so I wish I could be more help. Good Luck

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have done a small amount of fishing their. Its a great spot for largemouth. If you have a boat be sure to fish the gas dock, the rocks across from it and the pier going into the lake. Lots of good bass there but super clear water. Use small dia line.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The lagoons are a Mentor Public park. I fished there many times and nobody has ever said anything. I am a mentor resident but they don't know that. You will be fine fishing there unless you're smoking pot, drinking forties and stealing from peoples boats. I've done especially well with berkley gulp alive 3 inch leeches with a couple small bb's. Just flip under docks. For some reason the gas docks are loaded with fish. The shoreline boulders by the mouth are excellent too. The bass back up into the crevices so casting from shore is perfect. Hopes this helps. Good luck and let me know how u do.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I fish right at the entrance where the restaurant used to be. Lots of gills, LMB's, crappie and cats. In the winter the steelies wander up into there, but I wouldn't call it a hot spot. Just about every species in the lake find their way into the lagoons.

I would be careful about fishing around people's boats and docks. they rent those spaces and I treat it like private property. If someone is at their dock, it's only proper to ask for permission to fish there, and if they are not there, stay away. there's plenty of water there to fish in without upsetting the boaters and possibly getting the fishing restricted to minimal areas because of abuse. There's enough posted water in Ohio without instigating more reason to add to the list. Respect the people's space and we'll have free access for a long time.

Mentor Harbor Yatch Club is private, and you will need permission to get in there unless you are on the water in a boat. Don't set foot on their property without permission, or you could find yourself in more trouble than you bargained for.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Launching a boat in there used to be reserved to mentor residents only. Now it is open to all but its a little pricey. I have never seen the water very clear in there after memorial day. There is so much boat traffic through there on weekends that its mostly churned up and muddy. Maybe the deeper channel near the mouth is clearer.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Good posts guys. I do my fishing there from a kayak. I go straight to the deep water by the lake and have seen nice schools of bass near the entrance hanging out in the lake (mostly largemouths). If you want to catch more fish and tired of private property get a kayak. Its worth the 350-400 dollars.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Iv'e fished it a few times and done good in a couple, few hours. I go earlier in the season when nobody really has there boats in yet. The ramp is open to the public and ,I believe, you only have to pay if you are launching on the ramp,ie; launching a trailered boat. If you are launching by hand like a kayak or canoe ya doesn't have to pay. I've used Gulp Jerk Shad with a 5-0 hook and Gulp Minnows on a jig head and Texas rigged Gulp worms of varying types.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My father has his boat docked down in the lagoons. Anybody who's launching it has probably seen it, it's a blue bayliner and it's parked by the largest wooden pavilion on the left hand side as your going towards the lake. I have to say it does seem like there's nothing good in the water over there but if you cast in the lily pads with a worm rigged texas style you will get bass. I have a Jet ski down there that I am going to put up for sale this coming month if anybody is interested. My dads down there almost every weekend and I try to be but Im so busy that sometimes it's hard just to go fish and relax. I will tell you this, There have been some people fishing down there that don't give a rat's A$$ about peoples boats and will hit them with lures just to get near them. I haven't seen anybody recently that have done this but be aware(not saying anybody here will) if you do this enough the people down there don't have a problem running you off or getting the sherrif or coast guard involved. Most of the boaters are a tight knit group and will help each other.

·
Konfused Kayaker
5,223 Posts
people down there don't have a problem running you off
Ummm, I don't wanna seem like an a**, but you can't run people off of a public waterway. My kayak has the same rights to use the water as your Dad's boat.

I certainly wouldn't cast up against a boat or anything like that though. You got to respect other people's property.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Ummm, I don't wanna seem like an a**, but you can't run people off of a public waterway. My kayak has the same rights to use the water as your Dad's boat.

I certainly wouldn't cast up against a boat or anything like that though. You got to respect other people's property.
Your absolutly right it is a public water way but they can make you feel really unwelcome. I guess It didn't come out right when i wrote it last night. Let me try it this way. Respect others and they will do the same.

·
Registered
40 Posts
:mad:The past 3 summers i fished with my buddy on his bass boat every day in the lagoons, each day we would have 30-50 fish days and this year it sucks because there has been so much talk about it and now everybody and there brother fishes there . Recently there was a article in the news paper about the lagoons posted by a man who i wont say his name but has pissed alot of people off. Now MHYC has banned fishing on all there walls because off the excessive fishing on their gas dock and docks. And for all the yuppie sailboaters and yacht club memebers who can't stand us fisherman , the waterways are public to whoever and calling the coastguard to make us leave is pathetic.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Are you kiding me? Everyone only can talk five bass every day. Can you take 30-50 fish by you two person? You said this place will not so much bass. I think the reason is not more people, is .......

:mad:The past 3 summers i fished with my buddy on his bass boat every day in the lagoons, each day we would have 30-50 fish days and this year it sucks because there has been so much talk about it and now everybody and there brother fishes there . Recently there was a article in the news paper about the lagoons posted by a man who i wont say his name but has pissed alot of people off. Now MHYC has banned fishing on all there walls because off the excessive fishing on their gas dock and docks. And for all the yuppie sailboaters and yacht club memebers who can't stand us fisherman , the waterways are public to whoever and calling the coastguard to make us leave is pathetic.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts