close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Memorial Day on C.J.

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by BlueBoat98, May 28, 2007.

1. BlueBoat98

BlueBoat98 Where's Waldo?

Things are definitely picking up but still spotty out there on the humps. I was fishing by 6:00 A.M. and had three nice keepers and 4 or 5 short fish by 7:05. After that I didn't catch another keeper until I left just before 11:00. I did find some more hammer handles and a few of those "C.J. keeper Crappies" that are 6 inches long and so many people put on stringers or in buckets. (pardon the editorial comment.) Several other regulars were there but by no means the crowd that we have seen on other past holidays. Almost everyone I saw had at least one keeper Walleye but no one had a lot. The lake was flat calm so we used small 1/16 and even 1/32 jigs. Green was the color today but that could change tomorrow.

Here is a pic of the two 21" eyes that fell for that little jig. There's a bigger version in my gallery.

See you out there.

MC

Attached Files:

2. Way to go Blueboat we only got the one yesterday 17 3/4" with maybe 7-8 short ones funny thing was we seemed to do better when it was calm than when the wind kicked up ... go figure! It's very encouraging see all these short fish :D Thanks for the report see ya out there!

3. NorthSouthOhioFisherman

NorthSouthOhioFisherman The Young Outdoorsman

:D Made it out "brownin" sat tryin 2 troll 4 some anything but really tryin for crappie. We launched and started trollin to the marina when we hit our first fish in the gravel pit... it was a stinkin WB but it was 14 1/2. we hit up 4 or 5 more then headed 2 the marina. picked up some small crappie and a largemouth. We ended our day at that with some stress (long story) in-between.:G

4. We started out slow, jigging. Decided to troll, did pretty well. Picked up 8 in a short time with two nice 20 in. fish. Other six were just 15 in. fish. Go small and slow.

5. NICE FISH! :B

Couldn't convince my fishing buddy to go this morning, then he wants to go this afternoon. I tried to convince him mornings are better, he wasn't hearing it.

So we get there about 2pm and troll from ramp to the control tower at the dam. Catch one "keeper" Crappie 6" :B ;)

We then troll SLOWLY from control tower to the park there by the dam. Caught nothing

We then troll from there towards the marina, make note of where the ol' roadbed is, make a loop by the rocks outside the marina area and troll back to the ramp. It was about 6:30pm by then and had started to rain and look ugly. We then put the scanoe on the car and drive over to the marina to catch 6" "Keeper" Crappies. We caught a few. meh.

I think fishing partner is tired of getting skunked :S

How much is electronics playing a part in finding some walleyes? I don't have a Fishfinder yet, but am thinking of getting one.

6. Stretch

Stretch Wishin I was fishin

We fished CJ Monday morning from about 6:30 til 10. Not as much boat traffic as I thought there would be but there seemed to be a ton of shore fisher folks.
    We did not even get a bite as far as the fishing goes, but was still nice just to be out.
    Did see a OGF sticker in the back of a truck window, I believe the truck was red, I know the boat trailer was red and it looked like the trailer was for a Ranger boat. Might be the one BlueBoat says he always see's catching fish.

7. BlueBoat98

Stretch,

I believe you saw cjbrown's rig. He has the big 21 foot Ranger. I saw him out on the lake jigging then trolling as he reports in his post. The other "Red Ranger" is a 19 footer and he wasn't out yesterday.

See you out there.

MC

8. Stretch, there's an OGF sticker on my truck, gray GMC and red trailer. Also met eyeguy the other day after we came off, was nice chatting with him for a few. Went out this am, only a few hammer handles, and boy we got into a few nice slab crappie. They were loving the pink 200 rip shad.

9. Stretch

Stretch Wishin I was fishin

It probably was you cjbrown. You have a few other stickers also, one is walleye central I believe. Wish I could have met you. I am usually wearing a shirt or hat with Team OGF on them and my truck and my buddy's both have stickers, if anyone ever sees me out there give me a shout...

10. Yup that was me, holler next time if you see me out.

11. BlueBoat98

eyeguy "persuaded" me to go out again last night. We started off with a few good bites and I even broke one off. eyeguy pulled a nice 19" at about 7:00. After that it was miscellaneous W.B.'s, Crappies and some monster Fish Ohio class Bluegills with a few short Walleyes mixed in. I finally found a 16" eyeball at about 8:50 then it got too dark to see the lines.

Chemlab, I just noticed that no one has answered your electronics question. The Walleyes on C.J. are greatly inclined to bunch up on tiny points of structure. You must have a GPS to find those spots and a finder to see them. Unless you are really good at triangulating off water towers and trees you are in trouble in my humble opinion.

See you out there.

MC

12. Thanks! I bought an Eagle Cuda 250 S Map! I know it is cheap, but I didn't own a Fishfinder/GPS so I thought I would try this out.

I'll be there every morning I can manage to wake up. Green Scanoe. Yell at me if you see me. :)

13. BlueBoat98

Pardon my ignorance, but what the heck is a "scanoe?"

MC

14. Decided to give the eyes a shot last night again. Had 2 fish in the boat (21'&19') whithin the first 30 min along with 8-9 shorties. It was hot and heavy for the first hour, and thought I would hold out till the storms hit. The weather hit around 7:45 tried to hold-out, but not much you can do with 30-35 mph+ winds....I've caught some real hogs in the past just before a front rolls thru.. I'll be out again Fri. eve. gonna take a night off............We surely won't have to worry about our future eye population at CJ---catching shorties out the ying-yang:D

15. Scanoe/Ganoe - basically a large square back canoe, I think Coleman came up with the "scanoe" name, not sure.

I got there this morning about 7am, 3 boats already there. Caught 3 small walleye 10-13", and a bunch of small channel cat near/around the humps. Water was 75F and smooth as glass.

I saw 1 keeper caught, and heard of two others.

Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

16. I was out thursday am got one keeper ( 17 3/4") caught a few short ones along with a couple big crappie & bluegill. Water was dirty couldn't see prop in the water & alot of debris floating around. Tried trolling but only got 2 short ones. Talked to one regular who only trolls he said he has caught one keeper all year but I also talked to a guy in a Lowe boat who said they lost a nice fish ,I'm not sure how they ended up doing. I noticed the thermocline is setting up around 18 ft. in 24 FOW.

17. BlueBoat98

I just got in from Lake Erie and boy are my arms tired. Three of us handled over 60 Walleyes (limits plus C & R) in two days of trolling. The biggest was an F.O. 28 1/2". In addition many large Sheephead in the 5 to 8 pound range made things even more interesting.

That place spoils you for anyplace else but I'll rest up and mow the grass tomorrow and be back on C.J. Sunday morning, weather permitting. I still like that finesse jigging better than anything.

See you out there.

MC

18. NorthSouthOhioFisherman

Lake erie is deffenitly the best. My opinion better than finesse jigging also but... sounds as if u guys did great. Those sheeps and walleyes sure do put up a fite.

19. NorthSouthOhioFisherman

I was planning on trollin with bottom bouncers for walleye this weekend. Does any1 hav any fresh reports on wats goin on out there on cjb? thanks... sry 2 bring up an old thread :B :D

20. Do you think trolling is better than jigging? I went there last week and caught a few non keepers. Did manage a couple good size white bass, a nice crappie, and a couple lil channels... Drifting crawler harnesses and jigs over the roadbed... Didn't have any luck at the humps, but could just be me.

I might try again tomorrow morning if I can wake up.