Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nov.6th. My brother and I went up to the Meldahl power plant area yesterday morning. Here is how I feel about the place. They did build a walk way for the handicap to the fishing pier. Problem is the bank is so high you have to take 4 very long and tight levels of that walkway to get down to the pier! The bank is steep up there, they really had no other way of build the thing. My brother had to stop a number of times walking back up to the car from down at pier. I am 71 years old, walking back and forth to get our gear from the car I was also worn out. My brother has health problem where his walking is impaired so he I strongly feel this is NOT a place for anyone that is a Senior citizen that has to use the pier to fish. I was surprised that the pier sits so high off the water, with the boulders right under it, you need an extra long handle dip net to get the fish up to the pier

There is a separate walk way for other folks, which is more direct to the water. Problem here is there are tops of rocks sticking up out of the concrete. It is rather uneven walking at best. The other walkway does get you close to the water, and boulders that are along the shore. One guy walked on the boulders all the way up to the power plant wall to fish. So you really do have a large area to fish there. I did talk with 2 guys that have been fishing up there since it opened. They both said the fish are there, Stripers, hybrids stripers , white bass. Saugers, Crappies, Catfish. Also skipjacks were jumping around. Not sure of the skipjacks size, I forgot to ask. Both guys were using Mr. twister style jigs, and they both did catch fish. They informed me that there was only 1 generator running, but that was still causing a strong current in the out flow. I really doubt you could fish if all 3 generators are running.

My brother and I doubt if we will ever return up there to fish, for there are other places that we can walk to better than there. You younger folks it is holding all kinds of fish. If you can cast out a little distance from the bank you won’t snag. If the lure gets near the bank then the e boulder can be a real problem for snags.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I was there Sunday and seen nothing caught. Was there @ 7:30 am till 1:00 pm. Could not keep 3/4 oz grub on the bottom it either will blow straight in quickly or go to the left or right quickly.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I was there Sunday and seen nothing caught. Was there @ 7:30 am till 1:00 pm. Could not keep 3/4 oz grub on the bottom it either will blow straight in quickly or go to the left or right quickly.
Just like Markland, GREAT!!!

·
Registered
304 Posts
I drove up this evening to take a look. I didn't even bother to walk down and fish, it was getting late and I had another spot in mind. It looked like maybe 1 unit running and there was plenty of current. Problem is there are no more seams and no more casting to the gates. It is changed forever and likely for the worse. Why they wasted money on that fishing "pier" is beyond me, it is located in a dead zone, or it looks that way to me at least. The slack water that used to hold Sauger appears to be gone too.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I need help trying to figure out HOWTO upload photos from computer! I wan to post photos I took of the Meldahl outflow but the photos had to come from a url or face book Etc. I used to be able to upload photos directly from my computer in the past Thanks in advance Norb.

·
Fish Crazy
503 Posts
I need help trying to figure out HOWTO upload photos from computer! I wan to post photos I took of the Meldahl outflow but the photos had to come from a url or face book Etc. I used to be able to upload photos directly from my computer in the past Thanks in advance Norb.
Guys is this Outflow of water, a warm water discharge or just circulated River Temp water?
Thanks

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Correct, most coal plants have a water discharge used to cool down equipment, thus causing a warmer water outflow, but some have cooling ponds and you never see those come into the river since the water is constantly recycled so it all depends on how the plant was set up. Last part of the equation is thanks to the current political regime in power, they along with the EPA have managed to get many of the coal plants shut down reducing about all the warm water discharges around the area to about nothing. Still one at Aberdeen, but Tanners Creek has been shut down as well as the plant above Cinci ( forget which one that is) Frustrating for us winter fishermen.

Salmonid

1 - 11 of 11 Posts