Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard from a friend the was fishing up there over the weekend that the generator they were test had a bearing problem. they shut it down , now awaiting replacement from Germany. There was NO CURRENT at all with it shut down. Not sure if the skipjacks have move in should be easier to get them with out the fast current. I might run up there this week to see if I can get some skipjacks for the freezer.

just included a video about how bad the catfish are being removed from the river by commercial fishermen on my web page.
http://www.cincinnaticatfishing.com

·
Registered
212 Posts
I would not waste the gas, it has been dead water since the generators have not been running. I have not seen much or hardly anything caught. No shad in there or minnows are in there that I have seen.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Hey guys for what it's worth I drove by there yesterday and noticed that the gates were open and the steam was rolling off the creek and it wasn't fog........ Didn't fish or anything but that's what I saw.... They had to be generating yesterday, no way it was steaming like that and not hot

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
I heard there has been bait fish activity there but waaaay too far out to cast too. we need some current down there.

Salmonid

·
Rapala Snagger
452 Posts
I just got back from Meldahl. My lady and I caught 4 fish total 2 sauger and two large crappie. Fishing with lipless crankbaits and 3" twisty grubs. We only fished a couple of hours. Other people were catching crappie, catfish and sauger. No current coming from the hydro. Didn't see any baitfish either. But a great day to be outside on the water. https://goo.gl/photos/MiF2rw3S68ow9As38

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
Saw skips busting minnows yesterday morning near the pier. Been guys catfishing lately, haven't seen anything of size caught. Hole in front of turbines is 30 ft deep, sloping up to about 12 ft through the entire channel. Guys on beach caught so.e sauger deadline today. All I got.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Boats are restricted below a good distance down river from the outflow. YOU JUST HAVE FISH FROM THE BANK! The restrictions were in place long before the plant was built.Huntington has different ruling for Meldahl compared to how

·
Registered
212 Posts
Boats are restricted below a good distance down river from the outflow. YOU JUST HAVE FISH FROM THE BANK! The restrictions were in place long before the plant was built.Huntington has different ruling for Meldahl compared to how
These buoys out there now are pushed farther back, a boat used to be legally to fish past the old danger sign!!!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Not to burst your bubble but those buoys are waaaaaaaaay further downstream than they used to be.... Typical govt bullchit at its finest. I hadn't been to the dam since the hydro was complete... Went today in the boat and couldn't believe how far they have those buoys pushed out.... We could LEGALLY fish the rock bank on the ky side by boat... Hell its 100yds plus from that area now. They have successfully taken all the good fishing from the boaters that's for sure.... Oh well..... I left that place and put back in at bullskin and thrashed crappie.... None real big but had a lot of fun...... Meldahl produced 3 short sauger for me today, 3 darn nice hybrids, and two drum about 6lbs a piece... Saw one other boat catch a sauger but of the 5 boats along side me for 4 hours it was pretty much dead! When we used to be able to get back into the little lock this time of year it never failed us.....

·
M.saxatilis x M.chrysops
3,302 Posts
Cool dog! And nice fish too. Yes, definitely a hybrid. You can tell by the contrast of the stripes and the fact that at least 3 extend all the way to the tail. That is a 100% method of telling the difference. White bass will only have one "stripe", the lateral line…extending to the tail…and all of the stripes will be relatively faint in comparison to that fish you're holding. Nice work & thanks for sharing.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts