Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently acquired a vintage Pflueger Medalist 1494 1/2 and had been itching to try her out. I set my sights on a small flow which I had never fished before, and expecting only small fish I paired the Medalist up with my old Conolon "dry fly action." The Conolon is a garage sale score that I usually reserve for panfish because it is one willow switch of a rod. Once on the water, I found a beauty of a deep pool and started chucking a bugger, hoping a 10'' smallie might put a bend in my old glass rod. All I can say is that the old Medalist must have brought me some mojo. Within a mile-long stretch of this stream I found 4 good holes, and all of them yielded fish after fish. Crappies, sunfish, and smallmouth of all sizes hammered my buggers and Clousers. I just could not believe the number of bronze footballs cruising around. The best strikes came to a white and chartreuse Clouser in the middle of the afternoon. The best fish of the day was caught on that Clouser. Talk about a battle for the old "dry fly action". Good thing about that whippy rod, the fish just wear themselves out. They keep on pulling and she just keeps on bending. By the end of the day, I had landed fish beyond count, probably over 30 smallies. Easily one of my most memorable outings ever. I've grown sweet on the old Pflueger Medalist already.

Attachments

·
NE Ohio Fly Fisherman
195 Posts
That's the same Fly Reel I have used on my 9' rod for the last 3 years....I always keep the drag setting in the medium range except for Steelheading which I set up to the highest range...you'll get alot of years out of that Plueger if you keep it greased ...I have a 5wt with 120 yards of 15# backing on it...never has let me down yet....

I also have the Plueger 1492 1/2 single action reel that I only use for small creek and bluegill/crappie fishing but it's seen it days....the gear that sets against the click paw is worn out so I am throwing it out and replacing it soon....

Nice catches by the way....that looks like the Rocky or Astabula creek your fishing ?..

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Fish so far this season 2013

Trout - 25 ( Apple Creek and E. Branch of Rocky River )( 15 - Silver Creek Metro Park)( 15 - Locke 4 Canal Fulton & Crystal Springs Creek)
Bluegills - 150+
Crappies - 35
Perch - 4
Kittys - 25 Bullheads and Channel
Steelhead - 15 ( Rocky River and E. Branch of Rocky River)
LM Bass - 25
SM Bass - 2
Pike - 8 (All from the Tuscarawas River)
Bowfins - 15 (All from the Tuscarawas River)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks. My second fly reel was the Shakespeare knockoff of the Medalist and that thing took some serious abuse in my childhood years. I still have it, the frame is even bent and it still works fine.
Not the rocky or ash... I'm in southeastern OH

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Sweet report!!

I picked up a vintage 1492 at a flea market cheap but haven't got around to order PFoot so I can put it to use.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Cream, she is one awesome piece of water. Google Earth has been good to me lately. If memory serves me correctly, don't you have a nice one running behind your place?

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
Thanks Cream, she is one awesome piece of water. Google Earth has been good to me lately. If memory serves me correctly, don't you have a nice one running behind your place?
It looks good until you get on it. I can catch a lot of creek chubs and maybe a little bluegill or two, but that's about it. I caught one nice little bass the first trip and none since. Other creeks in the area I have fished are a lot more productive! And no brown bass, that's a downer. :(

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It looks good until you get on it. I can catch a lot of creek chubs and maybe a little bluegill or two, but that's about it. I caught one nice little bass the first trip and none since. Other creeks in the area I have fished are a lot more productive! And no brown bass, that's a downer. :(
Maybe it's time to encourage a couple of beavers to move in, do a little "habitat improvement"

1 - 11 of 11 Posts