Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hear talk about Meander resevoir being open to fish for some kind of tourney or lottery. Anybody hear anything about this?

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
That has been going around for years...
I fished there by sneaking in
(long ago)
and have been caught :eek: BIG FINE...
For all its worth that is one of the finest bodies of water I ever fished and I caught HUGE fish from L.Bass to Northerns and between...
Would not be going in there though since the laws have changed to criminal tesspassing YIKES

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hey Rainer,
There was an article in the Youngstown Vindicator about this. It seems that some of the MVSD ( Mahoning Valley Sanitary District ) board members are interested in possibly opening Meander on a restricted basis. They even mentioned a possible bass tourney. When this article came out we gave a copy to the Girard Lakes Bass Club director & he presented a proposal to the MVSD board to hold a trial, electric only club tourney there & they are considering it. I'll let you know what they decide.
Bass Day

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
That would be awesome...
I'd have to try to at the least enter the very first tourney ;)

When I fished there I saw trash, bait containers , forked rod holders made from tree branches and foot prints all over, everywhere I went thus I imagine that many fish are taken out each year so they should allow some form of fishing even if its just for children or disabled... :)

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
From what i understand, Meander is run by the Army corps of engineers, or at least was built by them. Know a guy who has snuck in and fished but never been myself. He raved over the fishing there. Just what I know.
Huntinbull

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I grew up not far from there and always wanted to try it. I heard that they were very good at catching people. I'm guessing they want to keep it clean because it's the primary water for the youngstown population. I don't think that its because of the Army C of Eng. They are involved with many lakes that are all access.
ski

·
Registered
631 Posts
The whole keeping it clean excuse makes no sense to me, since there is the Berlin/Meander Pipeline which takes water from berlin to meander. It would be the ultimate trip to fish meander for a night. Flatheads?!?!?

·
Registered
161 Posts
All this talk and memories of passing over that lake have me just a droolin over here. Everytime I go out east to Pymatuning or for some other reason, I just cannot help but almost wrecking while crossing Meander. I have so many "favorite" spots from the bridge!! :)

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
When I did my "few" sneek in I could not belive all the structure and diff types that were highly noticeable... Quality of fish and size were unreal in any experience I ever had in any northern stateside lake anywhere... The northern population must be very high as we caught at least 5-8 each time out and bass were very aggressive and on avg 3-4 lbs and we caught a few in the 7lb class... agghhhh its a dream lake that if openned should be made into a "catch and release" only lake. Did I mention that huge bluegills and crappie?
One friend said he seen a fish surface that looked to be 4 ft long!!! He did not see the whole fish and said he'd never seen nothing that big ever!!!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Meander is an awesome looking reservior. I too, would love to fish it. For some other hot off limits action, try Lake Rockwell. To hot to talk about.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts