Mccomb or north baltimore reservoirs..

Discussion in 'Northwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by yonderfishin, Sep 11, 2008.

1. Has anyone been out there lately ? I am wondering what the perch are doing over there.

2. Going to hit McComb over the weekend...I'll post what happens. Last time at N. Baltimore, just got some BG dinks.

3. I went to mccomb yesterday and got nothing. But I was trying specifically for perch using worms so I wouldnt know how anything else is biting there. After fishing for about an hour I gave up and figure since the water is so warm they are hanging somewhere in the deepest areas and might not be too active ( just a guess ). I keep hearing theres some decent perch there I just aint seen them yet.

4. Once the water cools, usually first couple weeks in Oct, we would cast minnows on bottom from the North shore for perch. But then we started hitting a few saugeye and we started trolling close to shore with weapons and tearing up the saugeye.

5. North Baltimore res sucks for fishing IMO. It's too new and there isn't much of good size in there yet.

6. Who knew the weather would turn as it did. No fishin' this weekend. Hope to get on the water thru the week and into next weekend. With the major change...might be wasting time....oh well...better than working! And i agree with the last post, personally I have yet to get anything out of NB 'cept dink BG.

7. cherrell136

cherrell136 she fishes too

I have been fishing the old res. in NB all summer. Lots of channel cats, nice perch and this last Sunday caught a 13" crappie along with smaller ones. Used nothing but minnows about 10-15 ft. from shore.

During some of the hottest days of the summer, fishing with waxies and redworms under a bobber, caught many, many 4 inch perch which tells me that they are prevelent in there. There are large walleye among just about anything else you would want to catch.

It is a shame that you cannot take boats up there any more. I contacted the ODNR about it and the only way to get it reversed is to take it to council. What a shame.

8. Which one is the old one , the one you see when you first walk up the hill or the one over to the right ?

9. The one to the right (the smaller one) is the older one. I think it was completed in 1969. The big one is rather new if memory serves me correct.

10. I went to NB today and fished both , the tiny sunfish were biting like crazy but I did manage to get one perch and one walleye/saugeye. They were wayyy to small to be keepers as well. It was aggrivating because the little bait stealers were tearing it up even though I was casting out as far as I can. Two years ago I caught a couple 4 to 5 inch perch on the ice out there so there should be some really good sized ones out there by now I just havent seen any yet.

11. cherrell136

The small reservoir by the cemetery. As for casting out as far as you can, actually closer to shore produces the most fish I have found, the perch and crappie were only 10-15ft from shore if that. I do not catch many bluegill when fishing that way.

Not sure where you are fishing, but when walking up, go to the left and fish any of the few places that has small stone at the top and then the boulders. Another good place is taking a right at the top, left at the corner and then fishing just past the next right.

12. You fish there with a float right , instead of on the bottom ? I will probably go out there again later this week or next week but I went to findlay #1 today and gave it a try from the floating dock with no luck. I seen so many small sunfish that I spent some time catching them and cutting meat chunks off them to freeze and try as perch bait later. The small perch and walleye I caught at NB yesterday were caught on sunfish pieces.

13. cherrell136

Yes, with a float. I may get over there this weekend and will take pics of catches. I drive a blue ION, give a shout if you are there.

I have never fished with meat chunks before, but may just have to give it a try!!!

14. What about fishing there at night ? Do they allow it or is it one of those dawn to dark places. Im thinking the fish may be small but leeches fished under a bobber at night may catch a bunch of saugeye/walleye in there.

15. cherrell136

Yonder, the only sign posted is no boats. I believe you can fish there at night.

16. Cool , I may do some fishing tonight depending on the weather.

17. I went out to NB tonight after dark and it appears the fish go to sleep there at night :S :)

Not even baitstealers or catfish were biting. May have been the weather.....who knows but it was pretty dead.

18. cherrell136

Hmm it is a shame that you have not had a good fishing experience there yet.

19. Unfortunately, no luck there for me either.

20. So far, you are the only one I have ever heard who has!:(