Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished for walleye from 9 to 3 Sunday out of Mazurik and went 6 for 8 pull-backs, finally modest success! Started in South Passage Channel were we found some clean / green water (+3-1/2' visibility well below bottom of prop). Noticed, good marks in 27' of water just 1 mile NE of Mazurik Boat launch. The fish marks were different today, long sweeping arcs with 3 to 6 small fish ID's on top of arc occasionally a large ID with the smaller ones. it was like I was looking at a school of walleye at 20'+ deep? Yet there were large ID by them selves on individual arcs, which tended to be higher in the water column 20', 15' and 10'. So when I raised my running depths up to 20', 15' and 10' I started picking the shallow feeders.

Wind was SW at 10+ mph then went flat at 11 a.m. was variable the rest of day, very fishable.

All crank baits run today were Bandits.

Put (2) shallow walleye bandits on right side behind 2 oz. weights 20'/40' and 37', results (1) pull-back / catch.

Put (2) deep diving walleye bandits on left side of boat unassisted 100' and 50' behind boards, results (1) pull-back / catch at 100' back, (6) pull-back /catches at 50' back.

Trolled speeds .8 to 1.2 mph.

Water temps steady at 40 degrees.

Reports from other boats at dock of 0, 0, 1, 1, 2, and 2 fish caught.

·
"Sweet Caroline"
779 Posts
Thanks for the report!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Fished for walleye from 9 to 3 Sunday out of Mazurik and went 6 for 8 pull-backs, finally modest success! Started in South Passage Channel were we found some clean / green water (+3-1/2' visibility well below bottom of prop). Noticed, good marks in 27' of water just 1 mile NE of Mazurik Boat launch. The fish marks were different today, long sweeping arcs with 3 to 6 small fish ID's on top of arc occasionally a large ID with the smaller ones. it was like I was looking at a school of walleye at 20'+ deep? Yet there were large ID by them selves on individual arcs, which tended to be higher in the water column 20', 15' and 10'. So when I raised my running depths up to 20', 15' and 10' I started picking the shallow feeders.

Wind was SW at 10+ mph then went flat at 11 a.m. was variable the rest of day, very fishable.

All crank baits run today were Bandits.

Put (2) shallow walleye bandits on right side behind 2 oz. weights 20'/40' and 37', results (1) pull-back / catch.

Put (2) deep diving walleye bandits on left side of boat unassisted 100' and 50' behind boards, results (1) pull-back / catch at 100' back, (6) pull-back /catches at 50' back.

Trolled speeds .8 to 1.2 mph.

Water temps steady at 40 degrees.

Reports from other boats at dock of 0, 0, 1, 1, 2, and 2 fish caught.
Excellent report, thank you!

·
Registered
108 Posts
I managed 2 and a miss on a similar program deep Bandits 45 back. first was 19" and the second 18" both are still swimming. I was between the islands. Water had about 12" viability. A lot of good marks 20' to bottom. I fished bandits, P10, T20, Reefs, HJ, Bombers, and Thundersticks down in that range for 7 hours with nothing at all.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I managed 2 and a miss on a similar program deep Bandits 45 back. first was 19" and the second 18" both are still swimming. I was between the islands. Water had about 12" viability. A lot of good marks 20' to bottom. I fished bandits, P10, T20, Reefs, HJ, Bombers, and Thundersticks down in that range for 7 hours with nothing at all.
Krt;
Yes, I did run a Smithwick P10 Marvin for a while Sunday but nothing, the Bandit walleye deep Glo pink /silver sparkles 50' behind the board had most of the action.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Sunday on the radio I was hearing anywhere from 10'-30' back and as fast as 1.8 I was jigging and they were by the islands and g can

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's a good sign they were hungry and chasing bait, I did try 1.7 to 1.8 mph but did not get any hits at that speed so stuck with 1.0 mph. i did notice a midge hatch going on, early! Those hogs might have been feeding high on the bugs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts