Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question and thoughts....Several years ago seemed the mayfly rigs I bought mostly had a "fly" with some type of hair on the single terminal hook. The idea was to put a small straight piece of worm on the hook to imitate the mayfly. Had good luck with those...(although strangely they came in many bright colors except the actual brown color of the fly.)

Now most rigs I see sold...at least ones I see....are minus the hair. Just beads and a spinner and single hook. Have they done that for cheapness or does it really not matter? Has anyone tried tying up some good stout flies with deer hair or something like that...some big wings sticking out each side more like what I see floating on the the water...to better imitate the hatch? Any better luck with something like that? Seems what is sold now as a mayfly rig doesn't look much like real thing.

Second question....as the hatch is winding down ( or same at start of hatch)...when there are fewer flies out there than are right now for the fish to gorge on ...would the mayfly rig have a better chance of working then ...would the fish still be foraging for those things as a preferred meal? Or, would the caster/drifter be better off going back to full worm harness?

Realize trolling is the ticket but not all of us can do that...

·
1 fish is a he!! of alot more than none.
1,973 Posts
LE,
I can help you with one of your questions.
The Mayfly has wings when it hatches from the water. From the bottom to the waters surface, it has a wing case on top of its thorax. The long skinny bead with a large bead on top, probably imitates the profile good enough.
I am experimenting this year with trying some flies for the fish. My expectation is I may catch some smaller fish. I think the big fish will feed mostly on the baitfish feeding on the Mayfly nymphs. My bet is we will have more success by imitating the actions of a baitfish chasing mayflies as they swim up.

I mostly drift too until I just can't catch them anymore. Trolling is just too boring for me.

Good luck,
Rickerd

1 - 2 of 2 Posts