Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Annyong!
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hit the GMR on foot after work. Water was 67 degrees and vis was about 10 inches.

I started out throwing what was tied on, a marabou jig. After about fifteen minutes of no interest I tied on a Smokey Shad Z Too for the first time this year. I cast it to where the water was turbulently entering a good size pool. After a couple of casts I saw a boil near my bait as soon as it hit the water and set the hook, the line when tight and the drag buzzed for about two seconds and then nothing.

After several more casts I added a small split shot an inch or two above the Z Too to get it down. A few cast later I felt a tic and set the hook. The fish stayed down and put up a good fight. I was positive it was channel cat in the twenty inch range judging from the fight. As I got it closer it splashed and I caught a glimpse of its tail and knew it wasn't a cat, but I was still confused, no way a small carp hit a Z Too, maybe a Buffalo.

I continued to let it tire itself out until I felt safe to bring it to the surface. When its head poked through and I saw the unmistakable red eye and profile of the smallmouth bass, my heart rate immediately jumped and I got that adrenalin rush that only big smallies seem to give me. No one will ever convince me you can't be addicted to fishing. With trembling hands I reached down and grabbed its lower jaw with the boga grips. Any thought of it being a twenty incher was dashed as I lifted it out of the water, but it was still a good sized smallmouth, if nothing else it was fat, maybe a PB.

I laid it on the board and stretched its tail out and it was seventeen and three quarters of an inch long. Not a PB; not a twenty incher, but a fish to be proud of non the less. This tale is less about that particular fish and more about the enjoyment I get out of fishing and pursuing the twenty inch smallmouth.

A small part of me hopes I never catch one. I don't want to lose that rush.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
That's a Hoss of a fish, well fine Delta!

Keep on keepin on, it never gets old 20"er or not . . .

BTW: I was gonna throw a soft jerkbait tonight but on my first cast I hooked the rod behind me and broke the lure off and got birds nest of the year award. Oh yeah, that reminds me . . then at takeout I walk right through a rod and break the tip off. Sucks!

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
24 Posts
Nice fish! The rush never goes away, that's the best part about fishing. The mystery of "What lies beneath".......

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Great smallie D.O !! Even when you do get a 20"er...you'll never lose interest in smaller fish..that's a fact!

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
That's a beautiful fish mister. Ok I've got some questions, I haven't got to fish much lately and I want details. On structure? What kind? Current? In the pool? head or tail? Deep water close by?

·
Registered
599 Posts
Great report and nice smallie DO. For fish like that, I wish we focused more on weight and not length as river anglers.
I agree 100%. A 20"er in Erie seems pretty common (or easier to come by anyways), while one in the LMR is a true trophy fish. Let's start a revolution Garrett. From now on, length PLUS weight.

DO, that thing is a hawg! It's cool to think about how old that fish probably is.

·
Annyong!
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
BTW: I was gonna throw a soft jerkbait tonight but on my first cast I hooked the rod behind me and broke the lure off and got birds nest of the year award. Oh yeah, that reminds me . . then at takeout I walk right through a rod and break the tip off. Sucks!
Sorry to hear about the rod; nothing ticks me off more than my own mistakes. I hate when I'm in the kayak and forget I have another rod behind me sticking up in the rod holder and try to go under some low hanging branches. I once gave a brand new rod and reel away by driving off and forgetting it at the ramp.

Ok I've got some questions, I haven't got to fish much lately and I want details. On structure? What kind? Current? In the pool? head or tail? Deep water close by?
Sorry to hear you can't get out OSG. I caught this gal at the head of a pool near where there was some structure in the water, a tree to be exact. It was probably the strongest current in this stretch of the river for a ways.

I agree 100%. A 20"er in Erie seems pretty common (or easier to come by anyways), while one in the LMR is a true trophy fish. Let's start a revolution Garrett. From now on, length PLUS weight.
I can't disagree with the length plus weight idea, but I kinda like that 20" is hard target to hit.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Sheesh Delta, nice fish!!
Earlier this year I had a smallmouth that I could have sworn was a flathead, until it jumped & gave me my lure back.

·
Not bothered about it
777 Posts
That is a great fish, man. I'm still waiting to catch one beyond the 12", one pound or so range. I've caught more smallies this year than ever before, but not one of quality yet. That is one to be proud of.

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
I agree 100%. A 20"er in Erie seems pretty common (or easier to come by anyways), while one in the LMR is a true trophy fish.
OGF recognizes that, and structures the awards accordingly, at 19" for a river/stream smallie, 22" for Erie and private water, and 20" on lakes.

A fish that fat is certainly a heavy fish, and puts the last two long fish I've seen to shame in the gut department. That fish looks like it got a hold of a twelve pack and a bag of cheetos.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts