May chatauqua muskie

Discussion in 'Muskie & Pike Discussions' started by tomb, Dec 9, 2008.

1. tomb

tomb Tom B.

Renting a cottage with my family on Chataqua lake in May '09. Am I O.K. to catch and release muskies? Tiger muskie season starts the first Sat in May, Muskie season doesn't start 'till June. I have NO interest in keeping any.

2. triton175

triton175 STX 206 Viper

3. MuskieJim

MuskieJim Trophy Tamer

Triton is right......also, I wouldn't mess with the DNR guys at Chautauqua. They don't play around. They'll check your whole boat for skii lures.

4. tomb

tomb Tom B.

Thanks guys, just what I was afraid of. Looks like I'll be bluegill fishing:( Would prefer to fish for something other than walleye, do that enough in Ohio. Bluegills in there are monsters, so I'll have to go with them.

5. There have been only a handful of times that the NYDEC has not at least checked our licenses. You are even more of a target with that "out-of-state" registration. They will definately be out strong being that the walleye opener is around the beginning of May. I wouldn't chance it!
    There is a guy that lives on the lake who used to post a lot on the "Mostly Muskies" page that has a pending legal case with the Chatauqua county sheriffs due to fishing out of season and bragging about it. I'm not going to mention any names, but he fished late and early out of season and caught some huge fish while guiding-illegally. That led to a physical altercation at the tournament last June. Now he's payin' through the nose and may lose his right to fish! The seasons are there for a reason. Respect them. Fish patterns, spawning, and extreme cold weather handling are very delicate things that are taken into consideration when the DEC sets the season.
    Thats my 2 cents. -Gabe

6. Tomb, I'm pretty sure you can C&R Bass in May at lake Chautauqua , and the lake has some great bass fishing, big Smallmouth, look for rock and gravel and you will find smallmouth, docks and weeds for the largemouth

7. tomb

tomb Tom B.

Thanks again guys. I think we'll stick with bluegills this trip, ever seen the monsters there? Will make a trip back there after the season opens, since I'll have a liscence.

8. K gonefishin

K gonefishin Bit by Musky bug

Alot of walleye and smallies to catch there. My buddy is from NY and used to fish it alot and they did pretty good.