Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Of all of the inland lakes in the state, Berlin has some of the largest walleye. They are not Lake Erie size by no means, but they have size. Fishing from shore, you have to try many different techniques and baits. One, that seems to work no matter the season is a simple jig head and worm... I've tried many different things, but worms and blade baits seem to be the trick to Berlin from shore.

I've taken to using a lot of different jerkbaits, but have yet to land a walleye with one from shore. Largemouth, crappie and even a few aggressive bluegill have all been caught on shadow raps and perfect 10s surprisingly. At Lake Erie, from the shore, these jerkbaits would catch walleye all night... at Tappan or Atwood, at night, these jerkbaits will catch saugeye. Not at Berlin.....

Was thinking, during the Maumee Run, 95% of the anglers are throwing floating jig heads with twister tails Carolina rigged. Carolina rig is one of my all time favorite techniques and for multiple species. I have yet to target Berlin walleye with a Carolina rig. Wanted to see if any of you have tried it? Was thinking live leeches, minnows, gulp minnows or crawler.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Maumee rig is designed for flossing in current , but it could catch something.........

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
It might take some legwork to find and get permission, but my suggestion for(no boat) walleye would be off a DOCK!(from shore is hit or miss!) Esp. at night. Docks are usually a baifish magnet, usually have access to deeper waters, and, well, just downright fun to fish for many species! We went to a reportedly "great fishing" lake(Chatauqua) in western New York on vacation one summer. Had a boat and tried for eyes all day, very little luck. At sunset, the super nice eyes would start prowling that and adjacent docks like hungry tigers! A simple minnow or nightcrawler caught Many! There's all kinds of "docks" at Berlin. You just have to obtain permission to fish them! Good luck if you try this!

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Alter the Carolina rig a little. Tie a snap to end of line with a sliding barrel sinker above it, 1 1/2 foot of leader after the snap, tie a floating jig head and a smaller twister on the jig head, tip with a 1/2 crawler. Caught many a walleye at 224 with that rig. Also drifting in a boat that rig works.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Karl wolf, was just gonna say, as a kid, spent many days in front of aerator at Hodgson with poles strung along shoreline Carolina rigged. Floating jig head and night crawler blown up with worm blower. To be honest for the longest time I thought that was about the only way to fish for walleye. Lol

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Karl wolf, was just gonna say, as a kid, spent many days in front of aerator at Hodgson with poles strung along shoreline Carolina rigged. Floating jig head and night crawler blown up with worm blower. To be honest for the longest time I thought that was about the only way to fish for walleye. Lol
It's just about the only way one needs to walleye fish

1 - 10 of 10 Posts