Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took six nice smallmouth this evening on tubes. Water was nice and clear and at at good depth/flow.

·
Carp53.65
4,235 Posts
I have always liked a mepps aglia dressed or a floating gold number 7 rapala.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've had my best luck with the #7 Rapala, they just didnt want it that day.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I don't throw any lures that cost over $2 in that river.

I really haven't been hitting the Maumee the last few years, but last week I went 2 times. Yesterday I went to the spot I did good at on 7/7, but didnt find any takers. I went up river a ways to another spot and fished some super fast moving water. I caught 2 decent smallies and 2 gar on tubes. The gar just sorta held on to the fingers on the tubes until the got up close to me. It was hotter than heck down there yesterday.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I don't throw any lures that cost over $2 in that river.

Me either I go to Jann's Netcraft and they can set you up with everythihng you need to build No. 3 Mepp's aglia's for about 75 cents.Work great in the river on the smallies and I don't mind it all that much when you lose them Plus, it's a nice hobby. Anyone who ties flies can tell you how much fun it is to catch fish on something you made. Work great on L.M's and pike too.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hi everyone. I have been "trolling" this site for some time but this is my first question. I hope I am posting it in the right place. I have waded the kokosing in Gambier several times and have had moderate success with the Smallies. I live in Mansfield and am looking for input on other rivers or stream I might try that would be a similar distance to travel from home. I love wading and multi species water would be great. I enjoy reading all your posts and for the most part this forum seems like a great group of people. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I hit it one more time yesterday from 7:30-9:15pm. Had a huge catfish grab my tube and start screaming my drag. I tightened down and the fish rolled and immediately snapped me off. It rolled for what seemed like an eternity after it broke off. The water disturbance that beast threw off was impressive. I tied on another tube and next cast I latched into another fish (assuming cat) and it broke me off quickly as well. There went all my tube jigs....

I switched over to a Roadrunner,got caught in the rocks and broke off. I then broke my own cardinal rule and tied on a Rapala..........Lost it after 10 casts. I thought if I threw one that only dove a foot or two I would be ok. Something very abrubtly and without effort took it right off my line. I would like to say it was a giant walleye, but more than likely it was a sharp edge to a rock.

I switched to a beetlespin, had a gar follow and swipe at it twice, but that was it. Ended up going back to the car to call it quits. On my way back I disturbed at least 4 smallies that were sitting in less than 1' of water on top of a bunch of rocks.

I shoulda thrown a buzzbait....... Took the :S

I was fishing a medium light w/ 6 lb. test. I usually go w/ a medium and 8 lb test. I wish I would taken the heavier gear.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes those big cats can play havoc on your gear. And if you ever get into a gar be prepared for it to roll like a alligator spinning your line around its slimy body. I thow #7 floating rapalas all the time. My trick is to run it off a 18" leader from a barrel swivel to your main line, then about 6-8 inches from your lure put a small split shot this catches any vegitation before it hits yoru lure. I tie a rapala knot as well, which give the lure more freedom to wobble in the current.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts