close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Maumee Run

Discussion in 'Northwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by litlwolf23, Feb 25, 2005.

1. Well seeing we can not get on the ice this is what i know about the river at this point. The river is 583 feet above sea level and 34.8 degrees and running on the muddy side. A couple more degrees and it will be on. I hope the snow coming Monday does not rise the river too high and we will be in business.

2. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

i guess the ice upstream already broke loose?? whats the island access look like?? thanks maaan.. :)

3. I wa sthinking of making the run up there in about 3 weeks if the weather gets right.maybe we should plan a trip when things start picking up.

Bub

4. I would not try the Island right now water is too high to cross. I would try the high water spots, New Orleans, Fort Meigs, Buttonwood. I do not know if you would even get anything but if you were wanted to get your line wet you could do that for sure. Ice is gone all the way to the dam and then some from what i hear. you can check out this web site for daily updates on the river and the run:

www.Maumeetackle.net

Gary is a good guy and will give it to you straight.

5. I'm on spring break in two weeks and now that i'm a little older a little more poor i'm staying up here. I could care less if the fish aren't in, i'll be in the river. My cabin fever is getting ridiculous and NEED to wet a line. Hopefully the water is at a good level and the weather warms up a bit, if not i'm gonna hit the warm water discharge and fish some creeks for steelies, hopefully hit some reservoirs for saugeyes too. Hopefully my first fish of the year won't be a goby like last year. Thought i was a bad omen till i got a 22' bass last summer.

6. Is there anywhere to fish the river that you can do some fishing from the shore?
    I dont have any waders, and dont think I will have any extra money to buy some this year. Thanks for the help.

7. There a couple spots not many once the run is on. I mean you can but you will snag the guys in the water and they can get quit rude down there at times. Your best bet is to go down the side streets and find acess to the river without going on private property. There is a guy that sells jigs down there on the north side (zaps lures) and the fishing can be good at time from shore right behind him but if the water is low you will need to find somewhere else to go. Hope that helps you.

8. phisherman

phisherman can't land em Teddy

Try the white st access in Maumee. There is no need for waders, and a lot a big females hang in this area.

9. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

Thing people need to realize....you can catch eyes in the Maumee in January or July. Doesn't matter. There is a resident population of fish. We have caught them there in the heat of late summer fishing for smallies. Just a higher density during the run :D I'll be up there again this spring gang. Should be a great time.

10. On the north side across from the fort there is a little spot that i see people catch some from shore. There is a big drain pipe. You're going to have to park somewhere like the tackle shop or st. joes school and walk. Get there early too because people are always there and it's very small.

11. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

The old tow path mojo. Been there.....done that :) Actually, that's one of my favorite low water spots. There are only 2 areas in there with good sandbars dropping off into deep water. Females hold in there pretty well, and tend to bite well early in the morning.

12. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

the only place i know that i can fish the maumee without getting wet is on the big rocks right by the bridge underpass.. apart from that, to have a chance on getting into any fish, you would have to get wet.. :)
    oh yeah, almost forgot about the spot behind the zaplures guy.. if you see him out there, please tell him Ak says helloo..

13. I'm ready for the river to start but did get on the ice at the trout club today. 4 of us got 12 trout and 6 blue gill. If there was'nt ice I'd of been on the river today.

14. made the drive around today. Access toblue grass about 1 ft down the bank by the upriver parking lot. water needs to drop 3 ft to get accross. at button wood you have to take the road to the bank, saw 2 guys close to shore by the firepit. talked to one guy who caught a chubb, that's for you steelhead guys. At wiers rapids, the 2 ledges, the upper has a six inch fall and the lower has that below the dam
    churn in the water. The grand rapids side of the dam, a foot of water rolling over the width of the dam. two guys fishing, tackle box open and a pole in the net, didn't see any fish.They were on the steps going down to the water just below the dam.
    Lots of ice near the water upstream, At vantassel saw six inch slabs near water. Im going to drive by Wednesday and if it drops, Saturday morn fish. It'll be early but.