close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

maumee river

Discussion in 'Northwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by meadmeister, Jun 21, 2004.

1. took a drive by the rapids. High,fast and muddy. higher than right after ice out.

2. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

i guess its unfishable.. it figures...just as i thought about comin up for some smallies action..

3. maumeemoon

maumeemoon Just one more cast...

Alright, you talked me into it. A buddy from work and I, took our lunch and fished the cut on the Lucas county side for a half an hour from shore with crawlers and a bobber. 5 fish in 30 minutes, 1 channel cat, 4 smallies. The biggest smallie was @ 15-16" taken ten feet off shore. All released unharmed, to fight again another day. There was some spots with minnows bustin' the surface, probably smallies and/or white bass feeding below. River is a hair under 582 at the 475/23 bridge. I might try it again this evening or tomorrow.

Good Luck & Tight Lines

4. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

hows the river lookin guys??? looking to come up before the weekend..
    thanks..

5. phisherman

phisherman can't land em Teddy

River should be at a good level this weekend. It probably will be a little on the low side. Last I checked it was 579. Easy to wade and find the holes though. Good luck, watch out for the gar. I heard a report the other day of a guy stepping on one and the thing taking a piece of his leg with him. Or maybe he stepped on the maumee monster!

6. I agree with phisherman. The maumee is in great shape for fishing right now. I caught 17 smallies (a few over 15") 2 catfish (one close to 10 lbs.) and a sheepshead. All on artificials. The fish were extremely active today.

tight lines,

trane

7. anyone seeing a good number of gar around? i've been wanting to add one to my list of speicies caught but with the weather the way it was last summer i could never make it down to the river and find them basking. i used to see a bunch at the dam when it got real shallow but i haven't been down there this year or the river at all since the run. I might bust out a hookless lure and see if i can't tangle one up, or use live bait and wait for the second run. It supposed to be a blast if you can actually get one one but i could never hook into one.

8. maumeemoon

maumeemoon Just one more cast...

Try the shallow pools off the current in Waterville. I have caught them before on very small crankbaits and small floating rapala's (2 1/2")in natural colors, in this area. Nothing like seeing them try to choke down a crankbait with their mouth wide open. Looks like edward scissorhands coming at you through the water. Good luck and brink some long handled needle nose, those teeth are sharp and will tear you up if you're not careful.