close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Maumee River This Saturday?

Discussion in 'Northwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by tpet96, May 6, 2004.

1. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

Anyone going to be fishing the Maumee this Saturday? I'm thinking of going up and hitting some of my favorite spots for eyes/whites. Had other plans, but due to weather in the past week, I decided to change them. If anyone is planning to go, shoot me a PM or something and let me know. I'll be on FRS 2-Way Radio channel 8 all day. Perhaps we can meet up or somehting while on the river.

2. tpet i'm going up sat to.
    im going to hit bluegrass first. i should be up there before first light.
    last sat was my b-day and mamma got me a new waders :D :D :D
    let me know....
    fish4wall

3. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

Hey Fish....not sure if I'll hit Bluegrass or not. I like Ft Meigs and the Towpath best for whitebass. Seems to hold more females than anywhere else on the river.

4. this is the first time ive been up there for whitebass.
    should i start at ft meigs?
    i hope the weather.com is wrong....there calling 60% t-storms for sat...
    that will just suck.........
    fish4wall

5. the boss and i are going up fri. night. try in the pm for white bass and then again the following morn. we'l most likely be at the rapids because the boss is so small i'm always afraid she'll wash away if she goes to deep. when you fish with the boss there are always certain limitations.

6. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

Fish...

Do you have a cell number? Let me know. I can give you a call when I get in the area early Sat morn. PM it to me or email me at tpet96@columbus.rr.com

7. sickle is suppose to go to buttonwood friday morning. I'm planning on saturday am, was thinking of starting at the towpath on the end and working up river. if no WB hitting either bluegrass or buttonwood for eyes. if sickle says ther's eyes I'll start at buttonwood. If you leave me a private post, I'll leave you my number.

8. I'll be out there after turkey hunting (after 12 pm). I'm thinking the south end of bluegrass for some white bass is in order. Can anyone comment on water clarity?

Norm

9. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

LUcky,

If you have a cell phone, PM me and I'll give you my number. You can give me a call on Sat. morn and I'll let you know the water clarity, etc.

10. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

I'll probably be in Sandusky, but my weekend hasn't been completely confirmed just yet. Heck I might be out on the lake fishing for smallies, either way, I'll keep Maumee in mind.

11. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

Hey guys. Fished up there Saturday. Didn't do too well, but I imagine those that fished in the afternoon likely did EXTREMELY well once the fog and clouds burned off. The fish were turning on as we left Saturday morning to head up to Cabelas. We ended up with 30 and had a couple of decent fish (likely walleyes) on but lost them in the current.

For those that I was supposed to call.......I left your numbers at home on the table :( Sorry. And Lucky........I got your voicemail that you called.........TODAY :( It didn't even ring in or give me a voice mail notification yesterday.

The river looked good. A little cloudy, but overall good. Good water flow, and the moss is still a pain. Guys said it isn't as bad as it has been, but still having to clean off your jigs on every cast.

12. Not a big deal tpet. I headed out shortly after I called you and found the river to be a lot higher and muddier than I expected. I planned on fishing the main river but thought I would play it safe and just fish the back channel of bluegrass. Since it was flowing so good I just went and found some nice slack water and current breaks and picked on the white bass for a while. I forgot how well they fight, quite the little scrapers. I picked up all of my fish slow reeling 3" grubs in silk chartreuse and white on a 1/8 oz. head. Had a couple real nice 2lb+ females.
    I also went back today before the 2.5 hour drive back to Columbus and hit em' even harder. Also had the bonus sheephead and a nice 10" black crappie. I fished beside Clarence (the guy who owns the tackle trailer that sits at the north end of bluegrass) and helped fill his stringers. Gotta Love those white bass.

Norm

13. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

Clarence is a good guy. Always gives honest up to date info. If a color is working.....he will plug it. Doesn't try to sell you crap that isn't working. :) What time did you get there? The water was actually normal for a change up there. We crossed right where Clarence has his stand set up, and it wasn't even knee deep for the most part. Some made it to upper knee/lower thigh...but no deeper than that. Unless the water came WAY up after we left.

14. I got there around 5:30. The water was definately up, and fast. It was hard to find any slack water. I head out to the main channel quite a bit but not when it looks like that. White bass aren't worth taking a dip. Ha.

Norm