close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Maumee River,Napoleon Oh. 7-29-07

Discussion in 'Northwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by ERIE REBEL, Jul 29, 2007.

1. This morning since we had a northeast wind team REBEL decided to go to the Maumee for a little Channelcat action.We headed upstream about a mile from the ramp in Napoleon and set up to fish.About an hour after we stared to fish my bobber took a dive and I set the hook.My 8.5 ft.Steelhead rod bent over double.Since I didn't feel any head shaking I was pretty sure that I had a Flathead on.Seventeen minutes this was confirmed.Finally after twenty minutes my buddy Jason was able to lift the fish into the boat.The cat measured 43.5 inches.The estimated weight was between thirty-five and forty pounds.Thanks Jason for the help!!!!The outfit I was using consisted of a Cabela's 8.5 ft.Tourney Trail Steelhead rod,a Quantum Energy reel,Fifteen pound test powerpro line and a 1/0 Mustad hook.For bait we were using Shad that we had seined at Grand Rapids earlier in the morning.Truly The Flathead is the supreme predator in the mighty Maumee.:B

2. Fishpro

Fishpro Northcoast Madman

I got to get up there sometime and try that. I've only ever caught one and it was about 13" long.:B ;) :p

3. KaGee

KaGee Monkeywrench Staff Member

Nice fish, even though catfishing isn't my cup of tea.

Does anyone pike fish the Maumee anymore? Now that I'd like to give a go at.

4. Kagee,yes they do fish for pike in the Maumee yet but it is mainly an after ice-out kind of a deal.I have caught pike in the upper thirty in. class and they are a ball.Still they are no match for a forty pound class flathead.I have never fought a fish with that much power.If the wind would have been right we would have been chasing eyes in your back yard.;)