close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Maumee River muskies

Discussion in 'Northwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by the_waterwolf, Jun 19, 2017.

1. Hello OGF Members,

I am seeking any information, stories, or encounters with muskies in the Maumee River.

I am an avid esox fisherman and am attempting to find a fishable population of the toothy critters. I have been very successful in finding northern Pike, but the great muskellunge continues to elude me.

Any information is greatly appreciated and PMs are always welcome.

Thank you in advance!

2. MuskieDan

MuskieDan Not a doctor

They ain't there my friend, head north to the De-troit.

3. Where did you find the Northern Pike? I have heard of guys catching Muskie out in the Lake by the reef complex.

4. Haha I might agree with that statement if I fail to catch any over the next few seasons. I've fished the popular waters up north, including Hudson and St Clair, but am looking for a challenge close to home and on foot.

5. Flathead76

Flathead76 Carp53.65

Have never heard of muskie ever being caught out of the Maumee. You would probably have the same odds as catching a sturgon out of there. Not saying it's not possible but it would be a once in a lifetime fish. Try Hudson lake, Detroit river, or lake stclair.

KaGee likes this.
  6. If those are my odds I think I'll do pretty well since I've caught a few baby sturgeon out perch fishing! Disclosure: I charter fished for a few years in college so I've spent more time on the water than most.

I have fished Hudson and St Clair and did very well, but the drive up there is simply not in my cards. The info is much appreciated though!

7. AtticaFish

AtticaFish Jiggin Freak

I would think there would be a population in the Maumee somewhere. I hear quite a few stories of them being caught out of the Sandusky River through Tiffin and a little ways South of town. There are some pictures of good size fish that came from the Sandusky under the glass counter at my shop. Most stories i hear...... they get them in early spring from feeder creek areas upstream. I fished the river religiously on my lunch breaks for at least 10 years (Between Tiffin and Fort Seneca) and caught 1 in that time. Caught it maybe a 1/4 mile below Tinkers Dam (Pioneer Mill). Have seen some other fish that i assume were Muskies as well.

I have an OLD fishing book with maps and fishing locations throughout Ohio. In it, it talks about them being stocked in the old Attica reservoir and says there was a good population of them in Honey Creek as well. I know they are no longer in the reservoir, but have never tried to target them in the creek. I'll have to get the book out and see if it mentions anything about a population of them in the Maumee.

acklac7 and the_waterwolf like this.
  8. If it's not too much trouble, could you email me some copies of those photos in your shop? I'll pm you my email address.

Any information out of that book is much appreciated! What is the title/author?

Thank you!

9. KaGee

KaGee Monkeywrench Staff Member

As a lifelong resident, I have not heard of musky catches of any consequence. Like others have said, probably there, but not in numbers worth the effort to target. Northerns are there, not in huge numbers, but there.

10. Pike (12"-24") can be caught year round pretty much anywhere where there is some kind of cover that they can relate to, some spots are better than others. Sometimes they're caught incidentally, but if you specifically target them you can increase your odds.The bigger fish are easier to catch in the Spring and Fall and can be found in the same spots that the smaller fish hang around all summer. A good day is a single strike, an evening well spent I would have a shot at 2-3 fish, and every great once in awhile I might land 15-20 fish in an outing.

My best spots that I found when I was younger and had more free time were freshly dredged areas. Occasionally a pocket of cold water (typically 55 degrees) would form on the bottom. Sometimes the area of cold water that formed was only 20'x20'. I would slowly drag a thermometer across the bottom and hopefully find one of these areas. When I did find an area there were always big pike stacked up by the dozens. Just sink a live chub down there and when it hits the bottom, get ready. If the fish were there they would hit within a minute or so. The key is finding cooler water in an area protected from wind and current.

11. Do you recall if that fish at spots or bars?

12. AtticaFish

AtticaFish Jiggin Freak

I do not remember for sure, but was told from a couple of old timers that fish the little 'horseshoe' area just downstream of Tinkers Dam that it was a Muskie. I was in my early 20's (maybe 1998, 1999?) then and wet waded with only a small pack of extra lures. Caught it on a Venom Super-Do. Remember that part clearly. haha About a week later, i went out and bought a disposable camera to carry around with me. Eventually that turned into an extra digi camera i strung around my neck. Never caught one since.

Did some digging and found one of my books. Not a specific published book per se..... but more of a collection of maps and loose papers that was given to me from a friend. It was his Dad's collection and he was not a fisherman any longer and gave it to me. The maps and papers range from the mid 50's to mid 70's. One of the stapled together papers has all the public access fishing areas and target species for them listed by state region. I will scan the NW section at work tomorrow. This paper only has 1 area of the entire Sandusky watershed listed as having Muskie...... the Howard Collier Nature Preserve. It is a great place to hike with some well kept trails but i have never fished that specific area. Have been told it is outstanding for catfish. I believe there are 2 public access points in that area. The nature preserve itself and an area by a bridge that is considered a canoe launch.

I have another group of papers and maps in some boxes in my basement and will search for the other info i have on Honey Creek. I lost a different box of books to mold a few years back so hopefully it was not in with those. I may have another possible source for information though.
    The pictures under the counter i will get pics of as well and just post them up here if that is OK.

Sorry so long winded about the Sandusky watershed. The business i help run is in downtown Tiffin and have loved the river (and fought it from flooding the basement) for the last 25 years of my life. Can not wait until they get rid of the dam in Fremont and get it back to a hint of what it might have been at one time. Next, we need to go cut off 10 million miles worth of tiled farmland and turn it all back to swamp land................ :rolleyes:

13. The lengthy reply is much appreciated!

Also, I am in full agreement with seeing the swamps returned or at least two stages ditches being mandatory.

TopRaider15 likes this.
  14. AtticaFish

AtticaFish Jiggin Freak

Attached is what i have for now. The scanned page my guess dates to the mid 70's. I have some other papers that look to have similar aging that do have dates of 1975 and 1976 and this all came from the same group of papers. Just a guess though. The pictures are pretty poor quality from sitting under the bright lights by the counter for so long. Really tough to tell what they might have been. No clue on dates for the 2 individual fish being held..... but you could make some educated guesses by clothing and hair style. haha The last picture with all the fish on the line i was told was taken near Huss Street in Tiffin before the Ballville dam was built. There was a paper mill that had a chemical spill and the area residents collected all the fish that died. I am presuming they did not go to waste. Hard to confirm all that, but it is the story i was told.

img004.jpg

20170620_110337_e.jpg

20170620_110400_e1.jpg

20170620_110400_e2.jpg

20170620_110344_e.jpg

15. That's awesome that Napoleon Dynamite got a muskie!

16. Hey Lacdown, the Napoleon Dynamite comment was the best part of reading this thread!!! Truly did LOL!

the_waterwolf likes this.