Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Multi-Species Fanatic
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stopped by both places today...

One older woman fishing at Sidecut - fishing a simple weight/crawler rig off the bottom, had a few White Bass but a TON of White Perch. She may have thought they all were WB but I didn't want to burst her bubble.

Pearson, trout stocking still holding up - fishing pressure has been light according to the ranger. The one guy that was targeting the trout got his limit while I was fishing. Actually got his limit +2... :mad: I was just there to practice with the fly gear. Had fun with the 4 wt. catching bluegill and managed one nice largemouth. All my fish were released.

·
Cowboy Charters
1,660 Posts
Pearson, trout stocking still holding up - fishing pressure has been light according to the ranger. The one guy that was targeting the trout got his limit while I was fishing. Actually got his limit +2... :mad: I was just there to practice with the fly gear. Had fun with the 4 wt. catching bluegill and managed one nice largemouth. All my fish were released.[/QUOTE]

Do you know what the guy was using for his trout. I am thinking about bringing my daughter there tonight. Also, for the bluegill, was there any nice size to them? She loves catch bluegill.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have only fished Pearson once.

·
Multi-Species Fanatic
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He was using the ole' trout stocking standby, Powerbait... you know the goopy stuff in the jar that you make into a ball - or you can buy it preformed like mini marshmallow. I use that stuff almost exclusively now at the stockings when I just want a limit and go... In my personal experience it always seems to outfish the other techniques I try (other than at White Star Quarry). Use the "Corn yellow" color, Pink, or Rainbow... those are the ones I have done best on in that order.

Th Bluegill were pretty small overall, if your looking for eaters I would say only two that I caught yesterday would have been of size. The bass was a legal keeper, but was released and I saw several larger bass than the one I caught.

Good luck!

·
Registered
97 Posts
I can't believe those trout are still hitting! If you're going, take Power Bait, corn, waxworms and salmon eggs. They can be pretty finicky about what they're eating on a particular day....especially if they've been in the pond for a while. I've outfished the Powerbaiters with all three of the alternatives on some days.

I went out one day last week and only caught one....I assumed they were finished. I guess not! Maybe the flyrod needs a chance.

·
Registered
871 Posts
cleos are perfect in the first few days of the stockings but then it gets harder to find them. My go to bait there 2-3 weeks after stocking was always shiners on a bobber.

·
Cowboy Charters
1,660 Posts
I ended up fishing Pearson on Friday evening. Fished around 6:00 to 8:00. Ended up with 2 trout. One on a wax worm fished under a bobber on a flyrod and 1 on the trout boat sitting on the bottom. Also caught around 10-15 bluegill, nothing over 4 inches on the gills. The ranger told me that was the first trout he has seen personally in a couple of weeks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts