close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Maumee R. Flathead Today! (pic)

Discussion in 'Northwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by CoolWater, Jul 5, 2007.

1. CoolWater

CoolWater Multi-Species Fanatic

Added a Flathead Catfish to the life list today while fishing the Maumee R. Live Bluegill fished under a slip bobber - I hafta admit I always assumed I would just eventually get a flathead while targeting other stuff... it just never happened. So taking the time to finally do it right and fish with the right offering - and BINGO! Big thanks to Brent for 'showing me the ropes'. The fish faught hard but the right gear made for it to be a rather easy catch and no more than a couple minute fight. Fish was released after some photos. Not huge but I'm not complaining - at least it's another species I can scratch off.

On a side note - the popular access spots were being pretty heavily fished - guess it's the whole holiday week thing. Most of the known holes had 3-4 people hoovering over them... hope people aren't just raping the fish out of the few deeper pools - or we all suffer in the long run.

[​IMG]

2. Fishpro

Fishpro Northcoast Madman

Nice fish buddy! I haven't got one of those yet, I'm jealous!:p :D

3. Hate say it coolwater but I believe the river is being raped from what I have seen the few times I've been down there this summer. I've seen quite a few cats being hauled out. If I remember right there is an advisory regarding eating them from the river. Nice catch, hopefully they will still be there at the end of the summer.

4. sevenx

sevenx "I sat by the river" N.Mc

Nice way to start off with your first flattie, Thats a good looking fish. Congrats. You are having a good year:).. Keep it up and will likely scratch out your list pretty quick. S

5. Nice fish!
    The cat fishing has been outstanding.
    From what I have seen, the catfish population in the river is in great shape. My buddy and I have caught and released plenty of 5-9 inch baby cats. Good sign for the future. We've landed a few giants as well. Again, all were caught and released.
    Its good to read that there is concern about over harvesting, but from what I've seen, we're in good shape.

6. crittergitter

crittergitter Multi Species Angler

Awesome fish Coolwater! Way to go!

CG

7. nice fish i have yet fished the momy for cats.

8. That is good to hear. I don't get down there much durning the summer and it just seemed like this year there were alot more fish being taken out than I had seen in the past. I'm probably worried about nothing.

9. Nice start Coolwater. I too have never fished for or caught a flathead. I would love to hear more on the Live bluegill method. What size, where do you get them, and how to rig them.

10. CoolWater

CoolWater Multi-Species Fanatic

Thanks for the comments...

swantucky - your observation may be more right than you think. The guy that I was out with has been targeting the flathead in the maumee for 8 years. He said without any doubt he has seen a downward trend in his totals, and observes a lot more people fishing for them and a ton more fish leaving the water. 007, happy to hear you are having a lot of success - maybe your fishing areas that are lessor known/harder access... whatever the reason you aren't seeing a downward trend on the fish numbers and big fish - it's encouraging to hear.

Bling - we used heavy cabelas rods, not sure what model, reels were baitcasting abu garcia ambassadeurs. Really large slip bobber that we would adjust to the depth of the 'hole' we were fishing. We pre fished to catch some bluegills, on different gear obviously, at least 5" gils' or bigger. It looked to me like just a large circle type hook... put the hook in through the bluegills mouth and bring it out above the mouth by about an inch. The bluegill can swim rather freely under the bobber. Thats about it.

11. CarpCommander

CarpCommander Banned

I see the pics turned out pretty good Adam!

Adam was using a Cabelas Muskie rod, 7-6", and Ambassador 6500 reel, and 25 lb Big Game mono.

I had a Diawa Millionaire, a Diawa Costal rod, 7-6", and the same line. We used big Thill floats with a 9/0 Kahle hook for the gills. Nothing really fancy. I like using muskie gear or light saltwater stuff over the big heavy traditional 'big cat' fiberglass rigs.

Like Adam said, another friend I fish with has also noted the decline in our catch rates in our usual flattie spots. I'd like to know where you guys are fishing and actually seeing catch rates go up? I see Gary was chirping about this on his site as well. I'm going to seek out some different water soon, and if I find a hotspot, I'm keeping tight lipped about it. :D

But seriously, most of the popular areas are tapped-no more flatties. :(

12. Nah, worrying is good. :)
    I'd say the number of cats taken is miniscule compared the walleye and white bass. In my experience, the river is a ghost town this time of year compared to spring. Now lets not let the "cat out of the bag." :D

13. jfan

jfan

Just what is the incentive to keep these large cats? I'll assume they're not being eaten, and I've never seen one mounted. That's just a rotten shame.

14. I have wondered the same thing. Not to be too much of a d!ck but most of the folks I have seen keeping them look like they are probably eating them.

15. I dont eat much out of the maumee let alone any cats! While smallie fishing I catch the occasional resident walleye and that's about the only thing I would eat from the river. But I see people walking off with stringers full of cats and bullhead. Dont get me wrong, I'm not saying the river is a toxic pool. I just dont relish eating fish from it. I truely dont understand why the big cats are taken out of the river. Whats wrong with snapping some pictures and returning them back to the water?

16. Nice catch Adam...

I actually DID catch mine a few years back while smallie fishing. Be glad you did it the right way because that's a respectable fish. Mine was pushing all of 14'' on my small tube. You should have seen the looks when I got excited about a tiny cat, and took a bunch of pics.

I have seen people keep massive stringers of channel cats down at providence before. I don't get it either. They must be dirt poor to need to catch and keep that many cats, especially when clean farm raised fish are in every grocery store.

I would think big flatheads wouldn't be high on the list of "best eating fish"....

17. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

to the contrary,they are excellent table fare.without getting into the c&r,c&c debate,i ate them regularly when i was growing up.we fised not only for the love of fishing itself,but also for food.same for hunting.we also ate lots of sheephead,bass,walleye,etc.
    that said,i haven't kept a flathead of any size for many many years.i rarely get to chase them now,but it's still just for the love of it:)

18. CarpCommander

CarpCommander Banned

HA!

I see what you meant about the pic now. That's too funny.:p

19. Mr. Catfish

Mr. Catfish A catfish in human form

I have been fishing for flatheads in the Maumee river for the past 11 years.From 2001 to 2004 my catch rates dropped severely:( . From over 40 fish a year to around 25 fish.Since the my rates have been climbing steadly last year I cought 44 this year already have 36.The biggest this year being 34lbs. My average Maumme river flathead has been increasing yearly ,about a halh pound a year.This year my average is 17.3 lbs.And your right about alot of people keeping and eating them also.I have seen more fish this year kept from the river than in the past.:( But I have aslo seen alot more targeting them. My advice is try getting away from the beatin path.Fish areas that most people pass up because it doesn't look perfect.I caught 3 Flatheads ranging from 15 to 21 lbs off of a fallen tree in three feet of water in less then 30 minutes.The closest deep water was about 400 yrds and then it was only 8 feet.Good luck and keep fishin:) .