Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never fished the maumee and I'd like to make a trip out there and try for some catfish. Where are some good spots that I can park and walk along the river? Need specifics so I can google directions. Thanks!

·
Registered
389 Posts
I've never fished the maumee and I'd like to make a trip out there and try for some catfish. Where are some good spots that I can park and walk along the river? Need specifics so I can google directions. Thanks!
Two spots come to mind immediately: the White Street access in Maumee and the Flats, the section of river just upstream from the I-475 bridge. But the Maumee River and its catfish are highly accessable; there are dozens more spots upriver, at Farnsworth, Weir Rapids, Otsego, and Van Tassel, to name a few. Any of these ought to fill the bill. If I were doing it, when I got here I'd stop at Maumee Tackle and ask.

Jim

·
Registered
276 Posts
fish the maumee all summer long, first stop by maumme bait and tackle, on wayne street, get yourself, some nightcrawlers, stick boobers, small split
shots and a pack or two of perch hooks with beads and colored spinners,
orange and chartuse best for catfish, dark green for smallmouth, go down
to side cut park, park in one of the lots, cross the creek to island, path will
take you to middle of island, start there, this will be bottom of rapids, you can work either way depends on water hieght, set up your bobber about
three deep, use have a worm, wade out knee deep or waist deep, cast out
and leave bail open and let drift down stream, you should get something
almost every cast, best time is from 11.00 am to 8.oo pm, bright sun is good.
another good spot is up road at jermoe rd, the school house at waterville,
and just up from school house at ball diamonds at waterville, just explore a little, and vary your depth from bobber to hook, and just enough spit shot
to keep hook down. Good luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
Best place I have found is just up stream of 475 bridge above the rapids. I usually wade out to middle at top of rapids and throw up stream with the bobber floating toward me. As was said before, you can catch one almost every time and the occasional nice smalley.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts