Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well we decided to hit the bay this morning. Coming from Indiana we weren't sure whether the trip would be a rain out or what. But everyone knows walleye love the nasty weather.

As it turned out the weather was just fine. Not sunny. But no rain. Just a bit windy which made the lake a bit rougher than I had hoped for in our 17.5' semi-v.

OK so we made it to Edgewater Bait at about 9 am. Got 2 scoops of minnows. The sign says "dozen" but since I had been to the Happy Hooker Bait and Tackle last weekend and they ask "how many scoops" I just said we needed 2 scoops.

Sorry. Got off track.

Well this was our first time on Maumee Bay. We launched at Cullen Park. Rutty from the forum had clued me in so I thought I knew what to do. Stay in the shipping channel. No problem. It was pretty easy to see where you should be.

We tried the humps within the first few miles off shore but found no takers. Finally we found a group of eyes ready for the jigs! I better not say exactly where since Rutty clued me in out there - but there were a few boats. It wasn't that difficult. Just find a 6' hump out there. Purple jigs with minnows.

My buddy lost his rod (long story) and for some reason I did not have a spare so we had to share my fishing rig after we boated the first 2. Ended up with 6 and one 14" throw back. Left at 2. The waves were not so easy on the way back. It's easy to drift with the wind a few miles - but sucks when you have to turn back into it!

They were hitting the jig pretty hard too! All in all I would say that once we found the fish the fishing was nearly as good as it was last weekend. You had to go back over the spot to get your fish in the Bay. Out on the reefs you could just take one long drift - the fish were everywhere.

Now I know 2 good spring jig bite spots. Thanks a million for the help Greg!

·
getting wEYESer every day
1,288 Posts
Maybe once this system passes they'll be back on big again. My father-in-law mentioned wanting to go now. Told him to make up is mind soon cause it won't last much longer. Hoping to make it back to Turtle Creek again by next weekend for just a day trip.

·
Administrator
9,455 Posts
Going out in the A.M.... not even a hint?? Oh man that's brutal!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts