Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hit the Maumee for my first ever try at the walleye run with a friend from work. I fished off of Blugrass Island during the morning, I landed a 19" walleye fairly early. It was fairly dead after that, I saw very few fish caught. I snagged a couple more, and had one break my line (the folks that make Sufix line have a nasty letter coming from me, I fought that stuff all day-line is not supposed to break from the weight of casting a 1/2 ounce sinker). We took a break for lunch and then went to the other side of the river at Buttonwood. As we were getting our gear back in order, we saw several people with their stringers full. I talked to a few people that said the fish had really turned on in the last hour and a half. But by the time we got back at it, the fish had turned back off. Not even a bite the rest of the day. Is it always that hit-and-miss during the run, or was that something out of the ordinary for the fish to turn on and off that quickly?

Even though I only went home with one legal fish, and learned what fishing line not to use, I still had a great time. I just wish the walleye would run up the Scioto like that , it's a little closer to home lol.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
It's more about specific location. I fish Buttonwood almost exclusively. There are about 10-15 good drift areas that I love to fish depending on temp and water levels. When the fishing is really good then locatiopn doesn't seem to matter as much. But right now it's location, location, location, and presentation.

·
Banned
544 Posts
....yesterday afternoon. i started at sidecut, seen a couple caught. went to bluegrass for a hour-too damn many snags, couldn't get the right drift where i had to stand. went back to sidecut for the last hour and caught one & lost two in the current. one was a big eye in the mouth, broke the line (mono).

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
It's more about specific location. I fish Buttonwood almost exclusively. There are about 10-15 good drift areas that I love to fish depending on temp and water levels. When the fishing is really good then locatiopn doesn't seem to matter as much. But right now it's location, location, location, and presentation.

Yha what he said.

·
'eye addict
478 Posts
"line is not supposed to break from the weight of casting a 1/2 ounce sinker"

I had that problem last Friday myself, but I found that it wasn't near as bad when I opened my bail!! :D

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I fought with that Sufix line all day long. It was great for the 1st hour of fishing or so, after that, it was trash! It broke once with a fish on, twice while casting, and countless times when I was tying new rigs on. Every time I would tighten a knot up, it would snap. By the end of the day, I barely had enough line on the spool to cast out. I'm anxious to see what they have to say about why their product performed that way.

·
Registered
11,409 Posts
Porterhouse23,

If you have any of that spool of line left you may want to hold on to it or at least wrap what you take on the reel back on to a spool. They may want you to send it back to check it out. I have never contacted line manufacturers but I would think they would respond to your complaint as it reflects very negatively on their product.

·
Powderfinger
7,789 Posts
Is the line new this year? If so, did you find it in a clearance bin at a low price? How the package look when you bought it?
Just wondering if you got some old line that wasn't properly stored.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Porterhouse23,

If you have any of that spool of line left you may want to hold on to it or at least wrap what you take on the reel back on to a spool. They may want you to send it back to check it out. I have never contacted line manufacturers but I would think they would respond to your complaint as it reflects very negatively on their product.
I have what is left of the spool, and what is left on my reel. I'd be glad to send it back to them if they could tell me what happened, and keep someone else from having the same problem that I had. I looked for a date code or manufacturing lot on the package and couldn't find anything. I know (all too well) that helps when trying to identify and correct problems. I don't think that the line was old, I bought it last week, the package looked to be in good shape. No way to tell really though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts