close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

maumee 3/11

Discussion in 'Northwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by mojo, Mar 11, 2005.

1. went down and fished the river for a short time. first tried orleans but the current was dead so we went to buttonwood. i hooked a fish the first cast but it got off. it made one splash but i couldn't tell you if it was a sucker, carp, or eye. still felt great to hook something other than a rock. for some reason my line was breaking off on almost every knot i tried to tie and on the smallest snags. i got too frustrated and left. anyone else have problems with trilene? it happened to my one other time too. looking for a new line to to use so if anyone has suggestions let me know. cheaper the better, but not junk.

2. smallieguy

smallieguy Smallmouth Please

Was it new line or last years line?
    And if you buy cheap you get cheap.
    Break offs and lost lures.
    Spend $8.-$10 and get some good line you'll thank yourself
    for it.

3. I used to use Trilene years ago. But When I started fishing rivers for saugeye, i switched to Stren. Forsome reason the Trilene just didnt hold upfor me.

Good Luck

4. Fishpro

Fishpro Northcoast Madman

For my spinning reels I use Fireline (10 or 14lb.) with a 6' florocarbon (6,8 or 10lb.,depening) leader. You can`t beat the sensitivity of the Fireline and the abration resistance of the floro.Try it, you`ll like it!! :)

5. I had the same problem down there last year with the Trilene the Fire line and Spiderwire are just to hard to get out of snags so I went with Berkly Iron Silk. It has very little strech and no memory and can take the rocks down there. I got it at walmarts for $5 or $6 at 300 yrds. The other line I get is Excaliber in 12lb test, Very strong.

6. Thanks, yeah the fireline/spider is great for deep water fishing or running crankbaits for instant hooksets but in a river full of snags it won't break off. No offense but i hate that stuff in the river because people snag and end up having to cut it off at the tip of the rod, leaving 50 feet of it in the river. then i snag it and lose my stuff because it won't let go. i used p line alot this summer for lake smallies but i'm poor right now.

7. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

mojo.. how did buttonwood looked today man?? whats the holes looked like??

8. I have always used Trilene XT 10# and never had any problems, strong enough to catch the fish and take the beating your line gets when it is dragged through the rocks. I ahve heard of guys using the Fireline and other stuff like it with a barrel swivle and the egg sinker with mono leader. Im sure this works great, but like another guy said, late in the run when there is a bunch of line all through the rapids I think it may be a pain if you get tangled up. Just my 2 cents.

9. buttonwood looked pretty good ak. current was there but not trying to rip you away down river. holes were pretty visable by the water flow. i tend to like it there in the higher waters though. i remember walking across the whole river last year it got so low. way too many people crammed into the few deep holes.

10. mojo, you must be the guy I see across from me every year catching all them fish ;) I fish straight across from you off the island.

11. Elamenohpee

Elamenohpee Banned

If there are Zebs in there then nothing is going to hold up for long. Fireline might give you a little more time before you have to cut 10' off and re-tie. If you hold your spool to keep it from spinning, fire line will break...and it'll be at the weakest point, usually within 6 feet of your jig. Just remember to cut off all of the bad line (usually 10 or so) before you re-tie.

Hey Guys, I'm new to the Western rivers Eye run. Can I get a 10-15 minute tutorial from someone. I promise not to take your spot.

12. WLB

WLB Northern Ohio Fisherman

Elamenohpee
    Get a box of big trebles and have at it :D
    JUST KIDDING, I'm only familar with the Sandusky river, everybody fishes where the river runs thru Fremont
    There's a park on the south edge of town, from the power line crossing the river at the park to the dam is off limits
    fer the run. The jacks are starting to show up but we won't get a decent run till we get some rain and the water level up a bit. If you don't want to wade, the channel runs near the east side of the river the whole length of the town, you have a chance anywhere along there. If you are going to wade, I would go in some where on the west side of the river, between the 2 car bridges would be a good place to start.
    If you fish live bait, put a minnow on 1/16-1/8 oz jig with a little twister tail in white or chartreuse, or use a floating jig head rigged carolina style with the same baits for dressing.
    If there's not a crowd, cast slightly upstream and SLOWLY work it back as it's going with the current.
    the males will bite the next few weeks, and every once in a while your lure will fall into a big females mouth.
    I use to fish the run, fished it for 20yrs, and can honestly say I only ever caught two females in the mouth.
    The males will bite thru the run, but not as good, but if you can catch it just right, the males will bite good again just before they leave. There's parking on both sides of the miles newton bridge on hayes ave.
    WARNING: the wardens watch out the back of store windows, they lay on the trussels with scopes or they may be fishing beside you in plain cloths, DON"T keep snagged fish or throw litter on the ground or the city of fremont will take your money :) Just because the guy beside you got away with it doesn't mean they're not watching! they seem to pick and choose? You can fish down river but you need a boat and it's more of a vertical presentation. Good Luck

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  13. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

I've never caught any females in the crowds of people. BUT.......fishing slow water with deep holes with surrounding shallow sandbars, I've had LOADS of females hit the jigs. Most of the time I fishing areas of the Maumee where I don't see anyone. There are fish there. People are just used to fishing the same areas every year. Try venturing more towards the lake where there aren't any people. You might be suprised ;)

14. WLB

WLB Northern Ohio Fisherman

I don't mess with the river to much anymore but the
    last few years when I can get my boat in, I've been
    fishing down river and know what your talking about.
    I never see anyone fishing for them out there, thats why I didn't go into detail about it, but your right TPET about
    the crowds, they freak them out shortly after dawn and thier hard to get.
    I'll just stick to the lake, lots more room :D

15. Fishin' Coach

Fishin' Coach Wall I ETR

Over the past 8 years, I've tried many different lines and my stren, triline, iron silk, maxima, yo-zuri, and my favorite line is stren's "high Test" It's cheap 730yds for the same as many others 330yard spools, and comes in neon green easy to watch line and see subtle takes.

16. Hooch

Hooch Fare Thee Well!

Always wet your line before cinching down the knot. The friction will weaken the line a lot! If the line has been on the reel for more than a year, knots will tend to break more too.

17. i know about wetting the line before cinching it down. It was weak all around, breaking in spots that weren't banging rocks or by the knots. the line was poor over the whole spool.

18. Gudos

Gudos Fisher of Man

So how is it right now, anybody catching anything, I am anxious to get something this weekend

19. Not too great yet. water temps are creeping up. if its hit the 40's the fish will be moving in. I'd still wait a week at least to make the drive.

20. It might just be that you have old line. If it isn't stored properly by the stores( anyone) it can go bad. I see a lot of people who leave their pole in the trunk in the heat of the summer, and then get upset and say the line is no good. I use trilene and rarely have a problem. I buy my line by the 1000yd spools and then I store them in an insulated soft cooler. Since then I don't really have any major problems. If money is an issue I would suggest trying bass pro shops line. I hear trilene makes it for them, and a 1500 yd spool costs less than $10. I know for a fact that some shop keep the line in the back and try to put it back on the shelf like it's brand new. Wipe the dust off and there you have it. Can you really tell how old the line is b-4 you buy it?
    Bryan