Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am pumped up! I looked at he 7 day forecast, and it is saying 40% chance of rain wed and thurs. and clear skies fri. sat.. We are coming up this weekend for 2 days for whites. We will be fishing buttonwood primarily, then whites park. If anyone can keep me updated as to the catches and water at these places I would really appreciate it. I did check Maumee Tackle and the river has come down alot. Said it was 580 1/2. If it gets slow we could possibly run up to Freemont.......we'll see. Thanks for any input.:D

·
Registered
166 Posts
I've fished the river the last 5 days.
The Maumee is full of white bass and you'll have no problem catching 40-50 fish a day. With effort, you'll catch even more.
I don't keep white bass, but I saw guys with stringers w/ at least the aforementioned number of fish on them today. I'd say good luck, but you don't need it;) .

Just be sure to pick up after yourself when you are done. For whatever reason, some white bass anglers tend to think the river bank is a garbage can.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I'm going to be in Toledo Next week for work, and will be staying over for a night. (Secor & 475 or Alexis & 75). What would be a good area for a first timer not familiar with town to try? What are the standard lure choices? Just a roostertail or small jig?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've fished the river the last 5 days.
The Maumee is full of white bass and you'll have no problem catching 40-50 fish a day. With effort, you'll catch even more.
I don't keep white bass, but I saw guys with stringers w/ at least the aforementioned number of fish on them today. I'd say good luck, but you don't need it;) .

Just be sure to pick up after yourself when you are done. For whatever reason, some white bass anglers tend to think the river bank is a garbage can.
Thanks for the info walleye. We have fished the last 2 years with little succes this early. We try to get in the holes early while the other guys are still sleeping off the booze and beer from the previous night LOL. We have done increduble in past years, but have gotten :S the last 2 years. And I usualy am the one picking up after everyone else on my way in and out. Kinda makes ya sick when you see all that trash huh? Anyway thanks to all for the posts and keep them coming. Good fishing to all. GW:D

·
Registered
21 Posts
Got 30 today in about 4 hours. River is up and muddy so I had to work a little harder for my fun. Only seen a few walleye cought. Probably won't try again till Wed. hopefully it won't rain much between now and then. Have a great weekend!!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well we caught fish.......just not big fish. Most fish that we saw at buttonwood were males, how about anyone else. We arrived Friday night around 6:00 and in 3 hours had @ 60 fish. We set a size limit of 11 inches, so we ended up putting about 1/2 of the fish in the cooler. Sat. was extremely slow going, we caught only a few fish until 6:00 and then I caught 69 fish, my buddy lost count of his and we left happy. Most fish came on a pink and white shad body, and white charlie brewer crappie jig. Good luck and good fishing :D

·
Registered
166 Posts
See...i told you that you wouldn't need any luck:) .
Glad you had a good outing on the banks of the mighty maumee.
Now get those fish cleaned.

·
AKA Dnavarroj
1,367 Posts
I was there at perrysburg fishing the maumee. We had a blast.Caught about 50 whitebass and and a small mouth. Threw the small mouth back. Gonna do it again next weekend.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts