close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

maumee 10/4

Discussion in 'Northwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by trane, Oct 4, 2004.

1. Made it out to enjoy the excellent conditions. The river was beautiful and the fishing was not too bad. I ended up catching 6 smallies in about an hour and a half. There were a few other people out and they seemed to be doing all right too. The fish definitely have the fall feed bag on.

trane

2. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

hmmm..maumee smallies.. time for this ol'looker to head up north for some topwater action..

3. hey trane i need some help i've never fished the maumee in the fall for smallies i would like to try it out any information would be a big help like what kind of bait do i use where is a good place to go and so on thanks walleyehunter.

4. walleyehunter,

Places to try:
    Side-cut metropark and Buttonwood (Maumee and Perrysburg), Weir Rapids (west of Waterville), and Grand Rapids are all places that are good.

At any of these places look for "funnels" created by rock wingdams and islands that cause the water to speed up. In these situations there are always areas of slack water or big rocks that hold fish.

Baits:
    Try small crankbaits (rebel craw and original rapala), twistertails in natural colors (smoke, white, pumpkin), or small tubes (bitzy tube or others)

Unless the weather is really nasty, you should try a spot and then keep moving until you find a group of active fish. This time of year you can catch some big ones as they stock up for the winter. Once the water temp gets below about 48 degrees, they shut down.

Hope this helps,

Trane

5. Trane thanks for the info. i will try these spots and techniques. Walleyehunter.