Matt Hughes' chance at UFC 85?

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by lg_mouth, May 9, 2008.

1. lg_mouth

lg_mouth It's Trigger Time!!!

Just read this on Sherdog.com and was very surprised Matt took this fight.

http://secure.sherdog.com/news/news.asp?n_id=12462

I don't give him much of a chance. He is one of my faves, but has not shown many positives in his last 4 bouts. I realize two of those were against GSP.

I will set this PPV out. They have had more trouble putting this card together than any I have ever seen.

Let me know what you guys think.

Lg_mouth

2. "A Country Boy Can Survive" Matt Hughes should take this one, and look to return to his old form. His last two fights with GSP he struggled in because he could not secure a takedown. Hughes should be able to take Alves down at will. I look for him to utilize the slams and the ground & pound that made him one of the most dominating welterweights of all time.

The end of May, beginning of June should be a good month for MMA.

May 24, 2008 – UFC 84:

155 lbs: B.J. Penn vs. Sean Sherk
    205 lbs: Wanderlei Silva vs. Keith Jardine
    205 lbs: Tito Ortiz vs. Lyoto Machida

With these fights headlining the card it should prove to be quite entertaining. I hope that they show the 205 lbs bout of Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou vs. Kazuhiro Nakamura as well.

May 31, 2008 – CBS-EliteXC:

Kimbo Slice vs. James Thompson
    Robbie Lawler vs. Scott Smith
    Gina Carano vs. Kaitlin Young
    Phil Baroni vs. Joey Villasenor

This is shaping up to be a good card on free tv. I am hoping that Kimbo Slice lives up to the hype and continues to silence the critics.

June 1, 2008 – WEC: Faber vs. Pulver

145 lbs: Urijah Faber vs. Jens Pulver
    135 lbs: Miguel Angel Torres vs. Yoshiro Maeda
    205 lbs: Mark Munoz vs. Chuck Grigsby
    155 lbs: Rob McCullough vs. Kenneth Alexander

Another awesome fight card on free tv. Look for Faber to really put it on Pulver and Torres is world class as well. At 135 lbs Charlie Valencia vs. Dominick Cruz is on the undercard, Valencia is known for entertaining fights and hopefully it makes the live broadcast.

June 7, 2008 – UFC: 85:

170 lbs: Matt Hughes vs. Thiago Alves
    185 lbs: Michael Bisping vs. Chris Leben
    170 lbs: Mike Swick vs. Marcus Davis
    205 lbs: Rashad Evans vs. James Irvin
    265 lbs: Brandon Vera vs. Fabricio Werdum

At least Matt Hughes is fighting and making an effort to return to greatness. Leben is pulled off of the card because he violated his probation, and is serving 35 days in jail.

AS REAL AS IT GETS!

3. I will always root for matt hughes and think he can win that fight, I wonder who will replace leben, I really want to see bisping get his a$$ whooped! I felt matt hamill beat him and the judges gave it to bisping, the fight I want to see is the up coming lesnar/coleman fight! so many good fights coming up this summer,I`am going to have a hard time picking the ones to get:mad:

4. lg_mouth

I lost some respect for Matt Hughes this weekend. He was supposed to be at the NRA Convention at the DPM Panther booth. He was scheduled to be there at 4, so I was at the booth and near the front of the line at 3:45. About 4:15 he calls and says he will be there at 5. I break out of line, as did everyone else and came back about 4:45, at 5:15, no call or explanation, still a no show. I left. I am sure DPM wasn't happy with him either.

Lg_mouth

5. I see bisping is fighting a guy out of canada by the name of Jason Day, never seen him fight but I hope he defeats bisping!

6. lg_mouth

Yeah, he was supposed to fight Chris Leben, but Leben got 30 days in jail for DUI. Whoever the guy is, I hope he puts nots on Bisping's head and puts him out.

That PPV has been through so many changes I think I will set it out.

Lg_mouth