close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

massive gills

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by jray, Apr 11, 2008.

1. jray

jray

[​IMG][​IMG] caught these gills and crappie at a farm pond wednesday big one is 12 inches the second largest one is 11 3/4 there was one 8 3/4 the rest were over 9 inches the crappie were 12 and 11

2. jray

jray

yes that is a full sized cutting board and a full sized eagle claw fillet knife all on 1/16 oz maribou jig with a crappie nibble those are the two biggest gills i have ever seen some pond !!!!!

3. JignPig Guide

JignPig Guide Fishing Guide

Hey jray,
    Good job on those bluegill! I'm sure you had fun. And, you have a lot to brag about as far as I'm concerned.
    I have read. And I do believe. That in most cases. If you have an environment that will produce giant bluegill, or giant frogs, or giant turtles... This environment should produce some giant bass as well... In other words. If a habitat will produce one species to full/large sizes. It should produce all others as well.
    I would go back to that pond and try to catch some five or six pound bass. If the bass don't bite. Then move onto the bluegills.

Again, congralulations!

4. Very nice gills !! any idea on what the big gills weighed.

I LOVE BIG GILLS

5. I_WALL_I

I_WALL_I Member

Wow! If I got a pig 'gill I'd put him on the wall...:) wife and I use 4# only on micro for saugeye, bass, 'gill, crappie... we get a lot of 9" plus and on our equipment there is nothing more fun than than a bull 'gill!!!:p Nice post!

6. jray

jray

they were caught on my 4# test ultra light and it took some serious drag the big one was a little over 2 the smaller one was right at 2 as for going on the wall my brother caught a bigger one ther last year so the place on the wall will already be taken besides those fish will put on 1/2 to 3/4 of a pound of weight over the summer since they were pretty skinny and since there is an entire year class i think ill wait out for a bigger one the place where they were caught has two ponds the one we were fishing in has big gills and crappie we caught about 30 bass but they were dinky the other pond has decent gills but it has big bass and they flip flop as far as catching big bass or big gills every 5 years or so so those ponds are good habitat for big fish as jignpig said ill have to drag myself away from the crappie there to fish the big the big lakes for crappie it is a little more sporting lol lol lol