Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
4,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hit a strech of the Scioto looking for Smallmouth, only to find a hoard of S-eye. Caught a few here and there up untill roughly 8:00, then things went nuts...As usuall the river-eye's were BLASTING jigs, and fighting for there lives. Those of you who complain that S-eye don't fight have yet to experiance river-run S-eye! :D. On numerous occasions I shouted "Smallie...niiiiice smallie" only to have it be another S-eye..Man were they pissed off once they got hooked :D

Ended up fishing untill about 10:30, although we only mangaged 3-4 after dark (along with a 8lb Channel). Me and a buddy caught roughly 20, and almost everyone of them went 16-17". Thinking back we should have kept a few, but the action was so non stop you really didn't want to take the time to wade back and get the stringer lol (Plus I want to save/leave some for this winter :) ). As I said, almost all of the Eye's went 16-17, except for a handfull of dinks that went maybe 5" tops. Seems like the 16-17" class and the 5-6" year class really, REALLY made out well....Thank you Mr. Saugeye god!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Thanks for the report. I've been stopping and looking at the Scioto at least twice a week. Guess I'll have to actually get my feet wet now. I need a change of pace from crappie. I hit CJ Brown this morning for a couple of hours in search of walleye. Ended up with two 4 pound catfish instead.

·
Multi Species Angler
6,142 Posts
Cool deal acklac. Those river run s-eyes will go nuts for sure! Get a hold of a 5 to 6 pounder in current and you will have your hands full for sure!

CG

·
Lucky Fisher, or skilled?
1,887 Posts
looks like i got to fish the river run eyes. need to get into some eyes that fight.

·
Mad SOT YAKER!
1,999 Posts
Good deal, they sure beat the fight of erie eye,lol, but they fry up real good! I ran into some eyes also sat. morning while yaking big walnut, betwwen them and rockbass it was a great day. Funny thing was the SM seemed unwilling to bite, the rockbass were insane, hitting big cranks, only managed 2 SM, a dink and a nice 17" on a creature bait, gotta love my plastics now. Caught a whitebass, channel, LM, SM Rockbass Saugeye and crappie. The SM are over spawning by now aren't they, wonder if the rock bass are spawning because of the numbers I caught, and BIG ones at that.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I went looking for saugeye in the Scioto after work and ran into a gang of rock bass. I got 3 smallies, and one picture worthy before I set him free. He put up a great fight and gave me a beautiful aerial display. It's about the largest river smallie I've ever caught. Normally get smaller ones out of the Scioto. This one ran about 16-17 inches. The picture really sucks, though. I was too eager to get out to try and catch his twin. I switched to a power craw in search of more smallies but the rock bass were lighting it up instead. But they were too small for me to set the hook. I jerked a couple right out of the water. Dang they're aggressive. If they make there beds with piles of rocks, then they must be spawning, because I saw these mounds all up and down the stretch of river I was wading.

The smallies appeared to be surface feeding. The 3 that I caught hit as soon as the jig hit the water. Didn't even give me a chance to let it drop a little. It was like splash, BANG!! and I had a fish on. I must have lucked up and put the lure right on top of them and they were instinct strikes. Too bad I didn't have any surface plugs with me. Not even a bobber to simulate one. Next time, I'll be ready. Ended the day with quite a few rock bass the 3 smallies and 2 crappie. Not bad for a couple of hours after work. All were set free.

Attachments

·
Registered
274 Posts
Thanks smallmouth crazy. Looks like me and acklac7 need to pm each other and swap spots. He was looking for SM and I was looking for saugeye and we got the opposite. And I do believe the SM are surface feeding. It looked like the slack water I was fishing was boiling around 6-6:30 with all the fish swirls at the surface. The bait fish were flying out of the water. I'm sure a lot of those swirls were rock bass, but some SM were mixed in.

·
Senior Executive Member
1,285 Posts
I was fishing below Oshay for saugeye a few nights back and got into a nice smallie. it totally caught me off guard and hit my jig literally as it was a foot from my rod tip being pulled out of the water. that sure woke me up. nice fish there, spidey

·
Registered
395 Posts
Sounds like fun fellows I used to get after those Scioto saugeye a bunch 10 years ago. Were you guys fishing North or South of O'shay. We used to have some good spots North but they have dried up in the past. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
395 Posts
Thanks for the info, I was really hoping yo were fishing North of Oshay. Guess I will have to head down to the old Scioto soon as the weather breaks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts