close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Mary Jane Thurston Catfish

Discussion in 'Northwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Ctroop, Jun 26, 2008.

1. I am heading to Mary Jane Thurston State Park this weekend. I have never been to this area before, nor have I fished the Maumee River. I chose this State Park, because it was the only place that had a cabin available on short notice. I will probably be catfishing. If anyone has any helpful information on this area, it would be appreciated. I am not looking for your secret spot, just areas where I may find deeper water. Any tips on bait, and rig would also be appreciated. Also, if there are any attractions in the area that are not to far away, my wife would appreciate it. A PM would be fine, if you dont want to post. Thanks in advance, and Good Luck All.

By the way, I will be fishing from shore.

2. carterfish

carterfish FISH-ON

I have been there. Go down just before the railroad tressell, there is a slab of rock that is pretty large all the way down there, throw out a worm with a 1 oz sinker tied about 18 inches below your hook. swivel, and leader for your hook

3. Thanks for the quick reply carterfish. Is that railroad tressel within walking distance of the campgrounds, or should I drive to it?

4. Tons of good access below the dam on both sides of the river. On the south side there is a good hole behind the gas station. On the North there is a trail that runs farther than you could ever care to walk from the dam down river. There are several good spots. If you want to get some solitude try just down stream from the canal boats there are some nice concrete pads down the trail.

5. There are some holes below the dam that hold some nice catfish. Like everyone said just do some exploring from the dam downstream and you will find some holes. IF the water level is at normal summer level you can walk out infront of the dam in old shoes and shorts and catch some cats. (The water level will be only up to your knees or less.)Strian some shiners from the dam and you shouldn't have any trouble catching some catfish. Hope this helps and good luck.

6. If you fish the high side of the dam, the water level never drops below 6 ft. Alot of the big pig cats come from the high side, but I would venture alot of them come from boaters.

7. I just checked the river level. It is almost 4 ft. above summer norms. Fishing will be tough and the current will be super fast. Bring heavier weights and be prepared to re-rig alot.

8. carterfish

carterfish FISH-ON

There is a sign on the left side of the road for the park. There is a spot to park there. not to far to walk at all. about 200 yards. But if the water is up I dont know if the rocks ( slabs) will be out of the water. If you pass the tressell you went to far!