Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I just talked to the recruiter today and I am seriusly thinking about enlisting. I was just wondering who all on here has been or is currently in the marines, and what they think about it?

The thing that I am concerned about is what i would do after the 4 years is up. I always had a dream of being a game warden and I dont know if this would be possible if I enlisted.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Traphunter....let me begin by stating clearly that I have NOT served in the military. Those who HAVE served are far more capable of giving an "experienced" opinion.

Every branch of our military serves our country. Every branch fills a specific need. With that in mind, I do not believe one branch is any better than any other.

You have options. If you proudly select the United States Military, select the branch that will best prepare you for life (and your interests) after military service.

As a fellow fisherman, you must love the water. I would look hard at the Navy and the Coast Guard.

Best of luck. Send me a PM if you want to chat more about this.
GBA
Bob

·
Team Bass Xtreme
271 Posts
First off, Semper Fidelis! I served in the Marine Corps from '89 to '93. I was a forward observer/intel analyst. When I enlisted, age 17, I thought, "I'll do my 4 years, grab a G.I. bill and skate out." Anything bad that happened during my enlistment, I was there. Desert Storm, L.A. Riots, Somalia, etc. I can say this, I DO NOT REGRET ONE MINUTE OF IT. I'm sure I took years off of my parents life, but they certainly supported my decision and are proud of me for what I have done for this country. When it came time for me to reenlist or leave the Marine Corps, it was a very difficult decision. I was offered at the time $18,000 bonus to re-up. My father had had his first of many heart attacks and I felt I needed to come home and be with him. I immediately missed everything about the military and cringe to think I would retire in 2 years!
There is a comraderie you will experience in any branch of the armed services that I believe is only paralled in the civilian side by law enforcement, emt/firefighters. When you are working in a capacity that at any moment, every single day, you may have to give your life for a brother or sister, you find those same people are as close or closer than your blood relatives.
I respect all service people from every single branch. You will discover that no matter what your decision is, there will be a "friendly ribbing" of the other branches of service. I have worked with each branch, domestic and several foreign branches, during my tenure. EVERY single one was respectable and dedicated to our great nation. There is nothing more fulfilling than serving your country.
With all of that said, I applaud your motivation to pursue the Armed Services. It will make you a better person and you will appreciate the simple things in life that we sometimes take for granted. If you have any specific questions, please feel free to p.m. me and I'll try to answer them to the best of my ability.
"Teufel Hunden", first to fight and Semper Fi! :D B.D.

·
Registered
280 Posts
well put big dawg. I myself also cannot speak from experience. My brother-in-law is in the USMC and is stationed at Cherry Point NC. I always wanted to join and never did, if believe in your heart that this is the road you want to take then go for it. OOOHRAH!!!!!

·
Defensor Fortis
4,386 Posts
I personally went to the Air Fore route for 20+ yrs, in Security Forces. If you are choosing The Marines you got my vote. It is a very honorable branch with a lot of history and many traditions. It is an experience unlike any. Like BIGDAWG said the commaradie is awesome. You will make friends that you will remember all your life. Being in the military will not hurt your civilian career after your enlistment. Employers know that you are more disciplined and more motivated that your civilian counterparts. Do you know what field of work you want? If you want a wildlife officers job, I would suggest becoming an MP. One caution though. Your MP training will not suffice for civilian requirements. But the knowledge you gain from it will help you tremendously in your career afterwards.

·
Registered
317 Posts
When I was 18 I thought about enlisting in some form of military,now looking back I wish I had.Now Iam 37 years old and wish often I could do my part to fight terrorism ,this counrty has givin us all unlimited opportunity! I would like to thank all sevice persons and I do.So choose wisely the choices you make they will effect you for the rest of your life. Good luck and God bless.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Take a look at my avatar and it will tell you how I feel about the Marines:D Being a Marine is one of the things I'm most proud of. If anything the Marine Corps will make you more marketable when you try to become a game warden. There are very few jobs that an honorable discharge from the Marine Corps will not help you to get. The experience you get in the military is unmatched in the civilian word. Were else does a 20 something year old man get the chance to show that much leadership. In the Marine Corps especially a lot of the leadership comes from low level NCO's like Cpls and Sgts. Men as young as 23 and 24 are leading fire teams, squads and sometimes Platoons and making literally life and death decisions on a daily basis. I will never regret my service or my decision to stay in to go with my unit to Iraq. Keep in mind you can also go the reserve route. Thats the route I went. You still go to college or what ever you go going on in the civilian world. Trust me if your country needs you they will call you. You get the best of both worlds in a way. If you do join you'll understand the loyalty that exists in the Corps. Even once your out fellow Marines are almost instantly your friends once you meet. Good luck with your decision and semper fi.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for your replys and encouragement!

Im going to think for a couple weeks and talk to some people, but this is definatly something that I am planning on doing.

Feel free to add any additional comments.

Thanks again!

·
do u know the fisherman?
43 Posts
hey man not to down the marines my whole family has been in. But if you were to talk to my cuzz he will tell any one looking to serve there country to join the national guard. they pay for college and you go once a moth and if u are wanting to go over seas well they say its a slim chance but 2500 from ohio are over there now abd 2500 more leave in one week. also unlike the mariens they can trane you for a life time job. but marines is hardcore and its hard to evend compare the 2

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
If you enjoy getting screwed on a dalily basis.
Join the marine Corps.
They put it to you every day. It prepars you for life out in the world.
I was E-5 In Marine Corps, Got screwed every day. I enjoyed it.
My son-in-law is Marine Corps.He is on his 2Nd contract & presently 3 Rd tour in Iraq. He is E-6 Rank. Gets screwed every day and loves it. he is going to be a lifer, says he wants to make warrent officer by the time he retires.
Once a Marine, always a Marine.
Become a Marine and life can not throw a single thing at you can not handle. :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well i am still keeping my options open but I am pretty set on the marines. They also will pay for college after you are out. Thanks for the input

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
I dont quite understand your post walleyeguy. Sarcasim i guess???

:confused:
You will some day. Army here 82-86. Radar Technician. I think serving in the military is something you will be proud of and will benefit you for the rest of your life. Confidence, awareness, discipline, the ability to react in an emergency are just some of the things you'll get. As far as camaraderie, there is a man in Omaha I haven't seen in years that would be here in a heartbeat if I needed him.

PS..don't join because you got dumped. If it isn't in your heart you probably won't do well and will regret it. There are literally millions of other girls on this planet.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
MadMac- What type of Radar Tech? I was a 24C (HAWK firing section) in the Army from 87-91.

Trap- I think that military service is a great start to any career. In fact, I believe that military service offers some specific advantages when looking at a civil service career? You might want to look into the specific benefits of a military background for becoming a Game Warden in particular.

Now, I would NOT suggest military service just to get money for college. There are much easier ways to get money for college. However, I did take advantage of the GI Bill, and I will say that it was very gratifying to pay for college myself (without asking my parents for money, or getting loans).

Also, I think that before you enlist, expect to be deployed in a combat zone. It may not happen, but it is best to enlist with the ideal that you will be deployed for combat. There is nothing worse than someone that joins just for college money, and complains about being deployed. Once you sign the paperwork, you are the property of the US government, and expect to be utilized anyway that they see fit.

I absolutely HATED the Army while I was in, and could not wait to get out! However, if I had it to do over again, I would have re-enlisted. LOL
Some of my fondest memories and lifelong best friends were created while in the Army.

We can all point out the positive and negative aspects of military service. However, this really is a choice that you will have to make with your gut rather than your head. You either feel the need to serve, or you do not. Just my opinion.

·
getting wEYESer every day
1,288 Posts
Ditto here rooster. I hated the Army (80-83), but looking back, if I was in a different frame of mind, I might have appreciated what it had to offer. Joined at 17, fresh out of high school. Actually, I was already active duty while my class went to graduation. Now I believe I was too young, too wild and strong willed, when I went in.

I agree with the others, your heart has to be in it to make anything out of it. My bro-in-law is Air Guard. Spent all last summer in Iraq at 50 yrs old. My nephew, his son, is a Marine Reserve. He just got back from 7 months in Iraq a few weeks ago. And my niece, his daughter, is active Navy, also spent time in the Middle East. The guys are right, expect to get deployed to a combat zone should you decide to enlist. Don't go in blind thinking you are exempt from that. It is what our military is there for. The GI bill, college, and what other petty benefits are extras added for peace time soldiers. We are no longer at peace, and the military's main mission (should you decide to take it), the reason it was formed, is combat. I would say "to protect our country", but since Korea and Viet Nam, it seems more political than that.

Under different circumstances, I may have made more of it than I did. What I'm trying to say is if you do decide to enlist, do it with your whole heart, and for the right reasons. If you go in half hearted, and just for the education aspect of it, the military will teach you a lesson you will never forget and break your heart in the process. Good luck in your decision. I for one will be thankful for your service should you take that route, just as I am for every other US soldier (past or present) out there.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks again all for the replys.

This is definatly not something that I am going to jump into right away. Its something that I have always thought about doing but had always been held back for one reason or another.

I definatly would not join just for the college funds. I fully understand the need for our soldiers over-seas and I know that it would be a risk I would be taking.

Im going to give it a few weeks to do some thinking and if I do enlist then I will definatly let you all know.

God bless this county and everyone who has/ is serving.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Rooster, I was 24J. The first Patriot equipment outside of the US was deployed at my base. They wanted me to re-up and transfer in the worst way but I decided four years active with two inactive was enough.

·
OSU outdoorsman
2,230 Posts
I'm currently deployed with the national guard as an MP in Germany and it is absolutely the best decision I've ever made. can't beat the free tuition and the GI Bill on top of that. I'm also made close to 70k this past year with most of it non-taxable. However, while active duty is easy enough to succeed in, i still like being a citizen soldier. I have come to find out that the guard is ON AVERAGE better at their jobs than active duty, and I beleive this is because of more education and more life experiences.

Trap, join the guard as an MP and you will get your warden job easy! but you would be looking at at least one deployment and possibly two depending on how long this drags out.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.