close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Marine/Weather radios

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Stampede, Feb 12, 2005.

1. Stampede

Stampede The Fish Feeder

Trying to decide on an hand held vs. mounted.My thought's are i can take the hand held indoors but are they as good.Anyone have one.

2. The handhelds work just fine regarding weather reports. They have a limited range with respect to communication with other boaters or even emergency calls. If you are considering a radio for ship to ship and ship to shore communication on Erie or other large waters, then install a regular marine radio and antenna. If all you are interested in is weather reports you can get battery operated weather receivers at Radio Shack for one fourth the cost of handheld marine radios.

3. Go with the mounted models.
    or buy a hand held that you can plug in a longer antenna.
    The longer the anttenna the better you will be herd.

4. Stampede

Stampede The Fish Feeder

Thanks guys,i'm going today and look at some.Thinking of geting on for weather.

5. Stampede

Stampede The Fish Feeder

Got a combo,am/fm/marine.I thought i read somewhere about hooking your radio up to the trolling motor batteries to keep from takeing the chance of running the motor batterie down.Anyone do this?And it you have one in your boat,what kind of antenia do you use.

6. CLappert

CLappert Gander Mtn./OBFN

you should not connect anything to your trolling batteries other than the motor the crankin battery will get charged by the motor if it is large enough to have an altanator or some form of a charging sys. your smll eletronics like fish finders ,GPS, or raidio only use small amounts of amperage to operate and unless you have a weak battery should not be a problem

7. Stampede

Stampede The Fish Feeder

Sounds like good advice.I was cautious about hooking it to the trolling batteries.Any advice on antennas.I was thinking about a standard colapsable car antenna.

8. CLappert

CLappert Gander Mtn./OBFN

the marine raidio freq.are uhf and I think am/fm is a vhf freq. the marine also have a larger coil like a CB antenna

9. Do not use a car antenna. It is not designed for this job.
    Get a coiled antenna . It does not matter what brand as long as it has the proper hookup.
    The longer the antenna the better reception and sending you will acheave.
    I use an 8 footer on mine.
    I get transmissions from Detroit to Geneava when I am out at Ruggles area with it.