close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Marine Radio

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by fish 4 bass, Oct 5, 2004.

  1. Looking to get a marine radio over the winter. My question is would a handheld do the job or should i go with a under dash mount? I fish inland lakes the most. the ohio a couple of times a year and would like to make some erie trips next year. any suggestions.
     
  2. DaleM

    DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

    A good handheld would do you just fine. I'd suggest getting one of at least 5 watt. They work great and you can get an antenna adapter to use with a mounted antenna plug.
     

  3. ShakeDown

    ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

    I just bought a used Uniden Atlantis from an OGF member 2 weeks ago, and LOVE IT. My boat is on Erie maybe 1% of the time, the other 99% on inland lakes. I like the portability, and the range is outstanding for a $100 hand held.

    If I were spending most of my time on Erie, I would go the mounted route. But the nice thing about the hand held, is we were able to sit in our hotel room and listen to the weather before we even got out to the boat.
     
  4. I installed a hardwired Uniden (Solaris?) for around $100. I liked the idea of a portable, but forgetting to bring it, having batteries run out, need for more than 5 watts on Erie, more easily lost overboard or damaged while fumbling, etc... led me to hardwire one for good. Don't think it has weather alert though and that is nice to have on almighty Erie, but the boys on ch 79 talk it up when a storm hits

    Since I store my boat inside, uncovered, I reach in and get marine forcast from Fairlawn, 30 miles from Erie.
     
  5. Stampede

    Stampede The Fish Feeder

    Been thinking of getting one for the boat.For those that have one,what's the reception like.Is it better than a normal am/fm radio.I wonder about being up in a cove and not hearing a weather alert or being able to get reception.I'd probally go with a dash mount.We check the weather before we go out but would like on for on those" chance of "days.
     
  6. Thanks for the info. guys. I think I'll look at the handhelds. Like the portability aspect. hope I don't drop it in the drink. :(
     
Loading...
Similar Threads Forum Date
RCI-7010 Marine VHF Handheld Radio Ranger Electronics Jul 3, 2017
For Sale Marine AM/FM/iPod/XM radio OGF Marketplace May 9, 2017
Marine Radio upgrade Lake Erie General Discussions Jan 19, 2017
Wtb ship to shore marine radio OGF Marketplace Dec 21, 2016
Marine Radio Boats and Motors Aug 25, 2016