close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

marine carpet or marine floor vinyl

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jshbuckeye, Aug 9, 2005.

1. which is easier to work with the carpet or the vinyl? I am redoing the inside of a boat would like to replace the old carpet with new vinyl but was wondering which was easier to put down i have the section that came out all in one peace so i have a pattern.I know some vinyl goods for houses can tear was wondering if the vinyl will lay in one peace like the carpet had up the sides and floor no wrinkles or go with the carpet that should stretch and sort of compact when making a inside corner. any and all helpful hints will be appreciated. may consider having the vinyl done if anyone knows someone who does this
    ________
    YAMAHA YZF-R125

Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  2. This past winter I put vinyl down on the floor of my boat...it was previously covered in carpet. I am very pleased with it, it is MUCH EASIER to keep clean than carpet. Plus, don't you love picking up a crank bait off the floor only to find out it's stuck in the carpet? No more!

I have a 17' Lund, and the carpet was just as you described, on the floor and up the sides. I only replaced the floor, and left the sides in carpet. The floor and the sides were not one piece, so it came out easy.

The vinyl I bought came from Cabelas, and is wearing very well. When I installed it, I rolled it a zillion times (or so it seemed) and could not get the wrinkles out. I finally gave up in frustration after getting out as many as possible, but when I came back 36 hours later, it looked great!

Anyway, that's my story. Bottom line, I love the vinyl, and it was relatively easy to install.

3. Ruminator

Ruminator TeamOGF

I have a vinyl floor in my boat from the factory and agree with supersize about everything he posted.

In addition, there are really only two potential drawbacks to vinyl that I have found.
    It gets too bloody hot in the summer for bare feet,(mine's light gray) and it definitely is worse than carpet at transferring boat noise into the water, which fish can hear.

Both of these can be a factor, especially if you have young kids.
    Obviously the noise is the bigger consideration for fishing.

- Rumi

4. great link sounds and loks like im doin everything right so far i did go with the treated 5/8 pain to find everyone carries 1/2 and 3/4 i have sealed it with spar varnish. this is a blue 89 blue finn. everything was covered in carpet i like the idea of doing the floor in vinyl and the sides in carpet. rails might be vinyl also but i herd the vinyl heats up to where you cant rest your armon it so maybe carpet any thoughts on this. i know the vinyl would wash down easily compared to the carpet there but there is the comfort factor also and no wood up there to replace later if i decide i have made the wrong choice.
    ________
    Ipad cases

Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  5. Ruminator

Ruminator TeamOGF

My two side rod locker lids are carpeted along with the front bow trolling motor deck and I wouldn't have it any other way. ;)
    Like I said earlier, that vinyl gets HOT.