Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to try a minnow trap at my marina dock wondering what best bait might be..? Ideas?

·
Registered
535 Posts
doughball of wheaties

Reactions: TClark

·
Chris
491 Posts
Back in the 90's my dad said they tried to catch minnows in Canada for several days with no luck. A local told them to cut a piece of an evergreen (not sure if variety matters) tree branch and put that in the trap. They had more minnows than they knew what to do with the next morning.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
i agree on cast net ,,, but ...i open my traps ( and put a wire accross the opening in the middle) then i mold a slice of bread onto the wire and close trap , on the way to set them the bread hardens .....

·
Registered
286 Posts
I have tried dog food, cat food (soft & hard), bread, and even tried chicken bones. Never got more than a couple of minnows and a few small bluegill. I am obviously not doing something right.

·
catchin my own bait since 1957
1,228 Posts
I have tried dog food, cat food (soft & hard), bread, and even tried chicken bones. Never got more than a couple of minnows and a few small bluegill. I am obviously not doing something right.
Not sure if chicken bones are much good for minnows but crayfish like them ... if you're not catching anything with bread or dog and cat food I'd venture a guess that there aren't many in the vicinity ... maybe try a different location, if they're around it's not to tough to catch them ...

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
you have to find minows ,to catch minows
i can trow trow net all day if they are not minows there i am not catching any.
same like catching defrent fish,if you like to catch them ,you have to find them first.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts