close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Marble tile question

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Elamenohpee, Jan 30, 2005.

1. Elamenohpee

Elamenohpee Banned

I've recently completed a marble tile job and unlike ceramic, the grout film just doesn't seem to want to go away. The result is a very matted color. I've sponged it (in one direction) about 10 times, but just can't get that original marble color back.

I guess my question is...Is there a type of sealer I can use to bring the color back? I've done quite a bit of stonework over the years and have used the old standard boiled linseed oil and turpentine with great success, but I have never used it on an interior application.

Any help is appreciated

2. a ton of marble installations in retail applications. The only way that we have found to get that shine back is to mechanically buff it after the installation.

As a side note, if you have a light colored grout, there are commercial sealers available to seal the grout to keep it from staining.

3. Orlando

Orlando Set The Hook!

There are some cleaners designed just for this, just make sure it is for marble. The linseed oil thing is as far as I'm conerned something that was used before good sealers were available. Linseed oil will actually atract dirt into the grout joints.You don't want to seal the marble itself, only the grout joints. What kind of grout did you use on the marble., and is the marble polished? If you still can't get rid of the residue let me know and I'll get you the info. you need. Good luck Just my 2 cents.

4. Elamenohpee

Elamenohpee Banned

Thanks guys, I used Tec® un-sanded grout (1/16" - 1/8" joints). The marble is what I've always called "rotten marble" (travertine I think???????) and not polished. The sealer that I am testing is "4 care® Tilelab" for marble. It seems like the grout color just keeps coming out

5. I used that sealer on my bathroom floor and have been pretty happy with it. The floor is travertine as well. It is not real glossy like marble but the sealer did bring the original color back and provided a nice seal over the whole floor. Water beads on it like it's been waxed but you can't see or feel the seal. I applied it with a sponge just as it says on the bottle and haven't had any problems.

6. With marble tile, or any natural stone for that matter, you want to seal the surface of the tile before installing it. Natural stones are pourous and will absorb stains if not sealed properly and often. The thing is to NOT seal the sides of the tile, then the grout will not stick the way it is supposed to....

With sealers........if they say 5 yr. gaurantee or 50 yr. do it every year!!!!! Chances are the grout stains will not come out all the way. The best be would be some pumice, haze remover or phosphoric acid. If the tile is smooth, don't use the pumice. Mix some water with the acid to tone it down a bit. I would try the haze remover first.

7. Orlando

Orlando Set The Hook!

Never,never use a acidic cleaner on stone or marble. Use a ph nuetral cleaner only

8. My buddy owns a marble and granite business. I think there is a chemical solution that will take it off, without removing the shine of the tile. Ill ask him today when he drops off my hearth and let you know!

Jason

9. Orlando

Orlando Set The Hook!

I didn't realize it wasn't a polished marble. Thats where you went wrong . On a polished marble you seal the grout only, on a stone or travatine you should seal the tile before grouting to make grout clean up easy. All is not lost, go to Lowes , tile supplier etc. and get a PH nuetral cleaner. Use a soft scrub brush if necessary, rinse with clean water. After tile dries if haze is still there repeat. After haze is gone and tile is allowed to dry then seal the tile. Good luck.

10. Elamenohpee

Elamenohpee Banned

Thanks for all the help...I'll post a pic later.
    You all can claim credit for the job ;)