Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just got back from our annual pilgrimage to Marathon. There were 4 of us this year 2 couples, the other was member #SuzyJ. Spent 10 days there rented a center console sea fox 246 for 7 days. We had easy access to the Atlantic and the Gulf from our rental house. So the winds let us fish the Atlantic 4 times and the Gulf 3 times. We caught 100's of fish every day. Many species of snapper; yellowtail, mangrove, lane, mutton. Groupers that were out of season, 3 kinds of mackerel, bonito, porgies, grunts, sea trout, 4 species of sharks. I'm sure I'm forgetting some for sure. We ate fish atleast once a day every day, it's so good pretty much no matter what kind when you're eating it within hours of catching it. The weather was perfect there and was the perfect time to be gone from here with the coldest temperatures in 3 years in NE OH! I did bring an ice rod and caught some fish on it just because.

reelylivinsportfishing.com

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Just got back from our annual pilgrimage to Marathon. There were 4 of us this year 2 couples, the other was member #SuzyJ. Spent 10 days there rented a center console sea fox 246 for 7 days. We had easy access to the Atlantic and the Gulf from our rental house. So the winds let us fish the Atlantic 4 times and the Gulf 3 times. We caught 100's of fish every day. Many species of snapper; yellowtail, mangrove, lane, mutton. Groupers that were out of season, 3 kinds of mackerel, bonito, potties, grunts, sea trout, 4 species of sharks. I'm sure I'm forgetting some for sure. We ate fish atleast once a day every day, it's so good pretty much no matter what kind when you're eating it within hours of catching it. The weather was perfect there and was the perfect time to be gone from here with the coldest temperatures in 3 years in NE OH! I did bring an ice rod and caught some fish on it just because.

Doggone it Mike you went without me AGAIN! Boy looks like you had one heck of a trip. I certainly miss our Islamorada trips. Just talked to my friend down there and he said get on a plane and get down there cause the tarpon in the backcountry are firing up for the fly rods. Still recuperating from back surgery so hopefully next year. Very nice pics! Yum yum lip smacking good. Did you make it to Lazy Dayz?

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Joe, I hope you're done healing soon! Yes we went to Lazy Days twice! That place is awesome!! The favorites are the St. Croix style and Lazy Days style, but we always try it a couple other ways too, they claim there are 95 different ways they'll cook your fish, I guess I'll keep going back until we try them all!

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Joe, I hope you're done healing soon! Yes we went to Lazy Days twice! That place is awesome!! The favorites are the St. Croix style and Lazy Days style, but we always try it a couple other ways too, they claim there are 95 different ways they'll cook your fish, I guess I'll keep going back until we try them all!

Those pics are doing me in,unless you've been there then you wouldn't understand and we have both been there,but we usually go to the one in Islamorada,just closer.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The other thing that was really cool this trip was the manatees, while we have seen them in the past we saw some every day this trip, they love the fresh water from the hose. It seemed like they could hear when we were cleaning fish and would come over to get a drink.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
The other thing that was really cool this trip was the manatees, while we have seen them in the past we saw some every day this trip, they love the fresh water from the hose. It seemed like they could hear when we were cleaning fish and would come over to get a drink.

Very cool is right. When we stayed in Tavenier at the Futura Yacht Club there was a cow and calf in there all the time waiting for someone to run the hose cleaning boats or fish ect. Still can't believe how huge the adults are!

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That is Awesome! Wife & I are heading down to Islamorada in a couple days. There's a Lazy Day's there as well. I can't hardly wait.
We have been to both locations, while I dont believe you can tell a difference in the quality of the food, the view from the original islamorada location cant be beat! Definitely put going there high on your list of restaurants!

·
HeWhoDiesWithTheMostToysWins
4,929 Posts
Ya,, THANKS from us too!

Some Awesome Pics, for sure.
I didn't know manatees were that far South. Last time I seen them was way up Silver Springs.

Marathon.
A Friend from our Erie campground has a nice place & boat right across the street from the airport. The Only thing that that he'll fish for is yellowtails,,, they go out about 8-15mi & catch them till their hands lock up,,,, & they throw everything back!
He catches so many Erie eyes that they won't keep ANY 'salty' fish!
Kinda Makes me ill just to think about it,,,, specially after seeing YOUR PLATES! ;>)

·
461 Posts
Doboy - that's surprising, "He catches so many Erie eyes that they won't keep ANY 'salty' fish!" I'm an Erie guy too, but I think saltwater fish are even better. When I go south I'm usually going for Tuna, Mahi & Wahoo sometimes Grouper & Snapper. I freeze it and bring it home in a soft cooler.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Doboy - that's surprising, "He catches so many Erie eyes that they won't keep ANY 'salty' fish!" I'm an Erie guy too, but I think saltwater fish are even better. When I go south I'm usually going for Tuna, Mahi & Wahoo sometimes Grouper & Snapper. I freeze it and bring it home in a soft cooler.
I'm with you on that Tag. Although I never brought any home,we eat our catch down there mostly at the Lazy Dayz. Flavor don't compare between fresh and salt water fish. Both are very good,depending on species. Yellowtail are very mild with little to no flavor but the backcountry fish like trout ,mangroves,red fish and snook are all GREAT table fare and personally like them better than walleye,especially when prepared by Chef Lupe at the Islamorada Lazy Dayz. IMHO

·
HeWhoDiesWithTheMostToysWins
4,929 Posts
I TOTALLY AGREE.
Years ago, A bunch of OGF guys & I went down to Emerald, & we ate everything we caught, just to see,,,, & Nothing, not one species was bad tasting. Matter of fact, if I remember right, Cheezman went offshore one day & they caught some Kings,,,,, THAT was the worst tasting fish on the table! After a few years, I found out that even the small, so called 'TRASH' fish are excellent eating,,, aka puffers, 'snakes', even the sea robins.
I remember Cheezman stating that everything 'SALT' is good,,, "I'm not throwing nothing back!" (including the Albies!)"

I was thinking of BEGGING that campground friend, for a weeks trip down,,, but after i found out that they ONLY fish for yellowtails,, & then throw everything back,,,,,,,, that's not for me.
They will sit around the house and wait a whole week for good weather,,,,, & never even wet a line around shore!
I would go absolutely NUTS. I'd be fishing the inlets & bays 24-7,,,, till I could't stand up no more. I'd Hit the water first light, & be the last to bed,,,,, & if the moon is bright,, I'd be out wading & gigging~!

Just another reason why I love to see you guys reporting about a good trip down,,,,, along WITH THE FISH PICS, & FOOD!
'THE SALT IS IN MY VEINS'! ;>)
THANKS AGAIN,,, MIKED!

·
Powderfinger
7,765 Posts
I looked up porgies and that’s not the pic I was referring to. Looking closer, I see it’s a shark I was referring to. Now that I see the eyeball on the side of the fish’s head, I can’t unsee a shark.
I thought the nostrils were sunken eye sockets.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts