close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Maps

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by JIG, Feb 11, 2008.

1. Took the time to load some old maps I have. Was pretty neat too print and hook them together!;)

2. One question I have is where would WB be in the Ravenna map?

3. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

These are great. Not for fishing but for historical purposes.
    On the Ravenna map, I don't see a NSEW compass. WB should be E/SE of Ravenna.
    I'll have to show you my topo map of the area from the late 50's.

4. creekcrawler

creekcrawler Konfused Kayaker

Hey guys - There is an online collection of 1900-era topo maps for northern Ohio
    here- http://www.railsandtrails.com/USGS1900/OH/index.html

Real interesting (to me). I use 'em when I go hiking and such. Even in northern
    Ohio there are abandoned roads and stuff to explore.

You can also find where house foundations, roads, etc. were before they flooded you favorite reservoir.;)

5. Had too save that one! Thanks man.

6. Erterbass

Erterbass Ohio Angler

That is awesome! Thanks for posting that link.

I'm like you - I like looking at maps like this for historical purposes but also to see the lay of the land before reservoirs were created, developments put in, etc.

Great stuff for a February weekend with no fishing... ;)

Bob

7. Ruminator

Ruminator TeamOGF

Nice thread Bob. I didn't expect to have more old maps available than the ones you showed me.

I found that another resource for printed maps to view is at your local colleges. ;)

8. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

How do you view those maps? I downloaded the djvu viewer software but it will not open the maps. Any tricks?

9. Erterbass,
    I'm not sure if they are still available, but the MWCD office used to have topo maps of all thier lakes that had all the original landowners, roads, bridges, even fencelines,ect on them. I have one for Tappan that would take about 2 kitchen tables. Used to have Atwood but gave that one away

10. I always like looking at the picture of Lake Milton when it was drained for the Dam Reconstruction that hangs in Northcost Bait & Tackle.

Does anybody know what fishing was like during the reconstruction?
    I've heard there was a lot of illegal fishing tactics, and wildlife violations used during this time period...and also that it was a muddy mess, and snakes were everywhere.

11. Erterbass

Erterbass Ohio Angler

I will check into that.

I have family in Knoxville and they have maps and photos of the area before all of the Tennessee River impoundments were put in. Lots of detail, including where the cemetaries were (they removed the caskets and reburied them on higher ground...), houses, grist mills, the whole shebang. The locals use those photos and maps during fishing tournaments to find the structure the fish congregate on.

You've got me juiced. I'm gonna call the MWCD office and follow up on this :D

Bob

12. creekcrawler

creekcrawler Konfused Kayaker

Lewzer - Never had any problem with the map viewer.
    Might take awhile to fully load because of the detail.

It's pretty interesting to compare these older maps with the new topos.
    I've found abandoned roads, old foundations and such way back in the CVNRA.

13. Thats what I thought. There is more to them lakes than 10yrs of fishing will ever tell. Milton has some cool features too it because of the roads and such around the lake. Grand View is one. There are some old bridges here and there. Berlin is even better. At one time there used to be a cemetary on the humps off the campgrounds.