close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Man vs. Wild

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by CoolWater, Jun 20, 2007.

1. CoolWater

CoolWater Multi-Species Fanatic

Anyone happen to catch Man vs. Wild this past week? I went to the web site just now for the show and it looks like the episode I saw was the European Alps, from Season 1.

Anyways, he comes across a rotting dead animal and grabs some maggots out of it - does some makeshift ice-fishing which was rather engenius... but the kicker was that he actually caught something (looked like a Lake Trout) and just bit right into it's back while it was flipping around. Didn't bleed it, take the head off - nothing - just a big old bite right through the meat of it. I guess not much different than sushi but was still a site to see.

Anyone else see it?

2. Did not see it. Not sure I want to see it, actually just for pure curiousity's sake I might want to lol. Just b/c I've not seen that done. My husband thought he'd gross me out once but it did not work. He took me camping (we'd not been together very long) and we caught some blue gills from the pond we were camping near. We go back to camp, he starts a fire. Then, throws the fish into the ashes. Lets it cook (turn black) then put it on a plate and proceeds to show me how to eat it. All the while telling me how gross it'll look but that it will taste good. Peeled back the skin and ate the meat. Did not remove the head or organs nothing. Just ate the meat from the fish. It was good and I was not grossed out. spoiled his fun, eh? lol.

3. CoolWater

CoolWater Multi-Species Fanatic

Now that's a WOMAN!!!!! Awesome.

4. Yeah I saw that episode...man I couldn't imagine doing that? Did you notice before he bit into it he said something like you want to bit it in the middle and it will instantly kill the fish....that guys amazing....it was a bit disturbing though...

5. I saw that awhile back......

This guy is definately someone I'd like to be stranded with..........oh, no....wait a minute..........he might eat me.

Never mind.

6. Micro_Mini_Angler

Micro_Mini_Angler live-2-fish

i saw that one before but i think this week was the Everglades, it was pretty cool

7. I saw that also, had to taste pretty nasty, I know minnows do, don't ask how I know that. I always thought eating freshwater fish raw could make you sick???

8. yeah i saw that one a like the show his accent gets on my nerves alittle though...

9. tomb

tomb Tom B.

Eating freshwater fish raw can make you sick. The idea is to live long enough to be found/rescued. You can always take medications to cure whatever you pick up after your out of the wild. Everything I've ever read or saw on survival says to worry about staying alive first.

10. I agree on the staying alive 1st idea!! I was just thinking that if you had the screaming you know whats and were vomiting it could make survival/travel alot tougher.

11. Tom Patrick

Tom Patrick Love To Fish

The season opener was the Everglades. It aired last Friday at 9:00PM. The next new episode will be Friday @ 9:00PM. Bear parachutes into the Arctic.

Congrats on spoiling your husbands fun. My wife loves Man vs Wild, she records every episode, but when Bear eats what my wife considers gross, she covers her eyes.

12. im hungry........

Frank

13. That guy problably would eat another person. :D

14. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Staff Member

Bear Grylls is a nancy boy compared to Les Stroud.

Granted, I'm sure he could kill me fifteen different ways with both his hands tied behind his back, but Les is the man.

15. ParmaBass

ParmaBass Kiss The Converse

Les does it all by himself, which seems like it would be 10x harder. Bear has a camera crew/man with him filming all his moves. Plus he has someone to talk to. Both guys are Hardcore that's for sure, I have my TiVo set to fing both shows.

16. With all due respect to Les Stroud and all of his fans, he is a nancy boy compared to Bear Grylls. Bear Grylls spent three years in the British special forces where he had a really bad parachuting accident somewhere in Africa the accident left with a back that was broken in three places. Two years after this accident he became the yougest guy to climb Mt. Everest - now that is true grit. Even aside from the exploits of Bear Grylls, I get tired with the fact that every time Les Stroud is confronted with a situation where he has to kill an animal to survive, he apologizes for it. It generally goes something like, "Outside of this situation I would never harm anything but..." don't apologize for surviving. It seems to me that he errs on the side of political correctness when p/c should not even beging to enter a survival situation.

FWF

17. ParmaBass

ParmaBass Kiss The Converse

Bear appologizes too for killing an animal/amphibian. He appolgized on the newest episode right before he put his knife through a turtles head. They probably have to say something so PETA doesn't get all over them. I enjoy both shows, nancy boy is a bit harsh for someone who carries around 60lbs of camera equipment for a week and constantly backtracks to get his stuff just so he can set it up again.

18. I enjoy both shows and am always impressed with what these guys do!

I think calling either a "Nancy boy" is crazy as they both endure some amazing situations.

Very neat shows!:D

19. Tom Patrick

Tom Patrick Love To Fish

I totally agree!!! I have the utmost respect any person who can endure, and overcome natures wrath the way Bear & Les does. The Discovery Channel airs both, Man vs Wild, and Survivorman because they are different. Why air two shows that are exactly the same?

20. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Staff Member

You guys are right. Nancy boy was a little strong. I am well aware of Bears accomplishments. He is an amazing human being.

On another note, Les hauls around 55 pounds of camera equiptment by himself. He sets up his own shots, and is completely by himself, no camera crew.

He apologizes for killing the critters because he is truly not in a 'survival situation'. He put himself into the predicament that he is in for the show.