Man shot and killed son

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by Bigun, Apr 23, 2008.

1. krustydawg

krustydawg KrustyDawg

How anyone could ever make it through such a tragedy is beyond me. The article doesn't really go into detail about how it actually happened, truely sad. My condolences go out to the family and the innocent little guy that lost his life.

2. thats a sad thing to happen to anyone.....i feel sorry for the boy's father and family!!!for those of you that do hunt rather it be with a child/teenager or full grown person please be carifull out there and always be sure of what you are shooting at even if it means letting it go by you and waiting for the next one

3. Man, when I thought I was having a bad day...
    Sure makes you thank the good lord for what you have.

4. Ain't that the truth.

That story just nearly makes me sick at my stomach reading it. I can't even imagine how I would cope with that if it were me.

Safety first folks! I am sure you have heard it a thousand times but one more time never hurts. I hate reading stories like that.:(

5. TMK

TMK

I can't even begin to imagine the pain the family and especially the father is feeling right now.

A tragedy that could have been prevented....

6. zap

zap

I can't imagine how this could have happened.

7. Toxic

Toxic Defensor Fortis

First off, "why" would you let your 8yr old son walk around in the woods during turkey season. And he never identified his target. It is surely an shooting that could have been avoided.

8. I have to agree with Toxic. Don't take me the wrong way, I feel for the man and my thoughts and prayers go out to the family, but an 8 year old should be sitting next to dad on a turkey hunt???

9. krustydawg

krustydawg KrustyDawg

The article does not go into detail about how it actually occurred. For all we know the boy could have been sitting next to his father when the gun discharged. A horrible, horrible occurrence either way you look at it.:(

My apologies I misread the article.....

10. I agree, it was a horrible thing to happen.

It says that the accident happened at 6:30. Isn't legal hunting time only until noon, or are there extended hours for youth hunting?

11. BigV

BigV BigV

From The ODNR website
    I feel sorry for the family, what a tragedy!
    This guy should have never been in the woods if he can’t distinguish the difference between a human and wild game.
    What ever happened to:

12. zap

zap

I don't want to minimize the tragety of this event.

However, as a 15 year vet teaching hunter ed before I ran out of time...and as a cop now.....there is no excuse for this the way it prima fascia appears. I was hunting by myself when I was nine years old. Different time and place. Now, my boy is 11 and he is right beside me turkey hunting...he is NOT out of my sight during the open season. Period.

13. I believe this happened in Minnesota. I took a quick look at their regs and they allow hunting 1/2 before sunrise until sunset. That caught my attention as well when I read it. I didn't know where it was but when I read that I thought it HAD to be in a state that allowed all day hunting since they didn't point that out as a violation.

14. Ahhhhh. That would make sense. I saw the story on TV while at Turtle Creek on Monday, and took for granted that it had happened in Ohio.

15. first thing you ever do is I.D. YOUR TAGET!!!! before that gun,bow or what ever!!! comes up to shoot!!!! plus i have 2 boys ones 12 the other is 4. and you can bet your life that my older son was always by my side!!! and i tell him all the time ID...ID ..ID....THE TAGET!!!! and i will stress it with my younger son!!!

16. Toxic

Toxic Defensor Fortis

Krusty, the very first paragraph states "he mistook his son for a turkey".

From the site "The Sibley County Sheriff says that a man who accidentally shot and killed his eight-year-old son while they were hunting apparently mistook the boy for a turkey"

So I don't think his son was next to him. Sad event.

Hetfieldinn & Bkr43050, KSTP TV and Sibley County is in Minnesota

17. Toxic

Toxic Defensor Fortis

I watched the video that is now (or may have been there before) about the event. The Mom wrote a letter to the TV station saying the Father told his son to stay put while the Father apparently went some where "the clip didn't state where though". I couldn't imagine what that family is going through right now.

There is no bird that you can buy in the store for 10 bucks ever worth jumping the gun and shooting before you can identify it.

18. BigV

BigV BigV

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  19. He said the dad took off after the turkeys and instructed the boy to stay put. The boy did what many 8 year olds would do in that situation. He followed his dad and was 20 yards behind him when the dad shot. That in no way excuses the dad for shooting at an unidentified target but it at least explains the circumstances that led to the shooting. Hearing the sheriff describe the incident puts even more of a visual of the event in my mind. And I have to tell you that is just heart wrenching. Sad, sad story.

I hope that everyone on here reads this story if only to remind them of the danger that is out there and to put safety at the top of their priorities.