Ohio Game Fishing banner

Man Releases NC State Record Alabama Bass.

5K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Buick Riviera 
#1 ·
Yes, he released her after she began to struggle in the live well. Would have broken the NC record for the species (formerly known as Alabama spotted bass). Caught at Lake Summit, NC. She was ten pounds three oz, and 27 inches long..I don't think I would have released her..lol Here she is..Oh, this was last year, btw.

See less See more
#9 ·
I think it was 2008 when scientists' genetic testing proved the Alabama bass was a separate species entirely from the spotted bass. So after more research, it was determined the "spotted bass" in Lake Norman and other NC lakes were not spots at all. The state record is around 6 pounds five ounces, so this guy's fish would have obliterated the record. Thing is, they have to change that record fish from "spotted bass", to"Alabama bass".
What's even more interesting to me is, the "Florida strain" of the largemouth bass have been shown to be different enough from the northern largemouth to now be considered a different species, known now as the "Florida bass". So where does that leave the record of George Perry in jeopardy? Was his fish a Florida, or northern largemouth???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.