Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seen the recovery boats this mornin' on the way to work. Found the story on WHIO. 43 year old Man lost control or hit a sand bar in the river last evening. Witness' say they seen water spray then they saw a empty boat heading towards shore. It is tragic of course. Seeing them drag the river this morn put a hole in my stomach. I assumed the worst and unfortunately was right. Prayers to all his loved ones. Just awful.

I was out there Wednesday night and thought the sand bars, especially in front of Holes Creek were exceptionally shallow. I am not a regular out there but have been out there enough to fell comfortable running on plane. There seemed to be a little more shallow area than previous years. Maybe I am wrong, but I see the contruction up river in Dayton on the Bridges and think sediment might be moving down river to that pool. Theory..... See the sand piles out in front of UD? That is just a little bit compared to what washes away while digging/dredging.Seems they are digging new bridge supports causing alot of silt,sediment,sand and dirt to move down over the first low head by the power station. Then gradually settling in the Morain/West Carrollton pool. Causing new and unusual sand bars. You GMR boaters could help disprove or solidify this theory. Your input would be appreciated. Could help save a life in the future.

God Bless all that are affected by this incident. Be Safe out there. Anytime we leave home it could be the last. Sobering thought.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
I have fished that pool for 4 years now with regularity and the shallow sand bar at the mouth of Holes Creek is the same now as it has been the last 4 years, always depends on the depth /height of the river. At high flows you can go right over it and at lower flows some caution needs to be taken. In fact there are about 3 sand bars that at low flows extreme caution needs to be used. This has always worried many of us fishermen in the pool because the jet skiers and water skiers ruitinely run right over these shallow spotsats at 35+ MPH and its a wonder more folks do not get hurt here with the alcohol use on some of the boats here.

agree that it is a sad story, I was watching them last night all showing up including the Whio Helicopter. Prayers out to the family and friends.

Salmonid

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Salmon,
I thought the bar extended out a little more than usual. I would always "read" the river and follow the outside bend back towards the middle of the river heading towards Holes Creek. I just thought I was running my normal route towards the River Rd bridge, but the channell disappeared. I was in a foot of water on plain at 35 MPH, way in the middle of the river. I knew it( the sand bar) was there, just seemed to be out there a little farther than years past. I was lucky, had no choice but to keep going. Made it accross and dropped back down to five feet. Then coming back, it was the same. I am sure the channel is there, just closer to airport side than I thought/remember.

Sorry really, I should start a new thread about the changing river in West Carrollton if I want to discuss that. This is a much more serious deal for those looking to read about the loss of life. My thoughts are with them. Three children lost their Daddy last night.So many friends and family lost a loved one. Someone lost the most important person in their life......... Its terrible.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts