close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

malware help??????

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by misfit, May 11, 2008.

1. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

ok,somehow i got bit by that malwarrior thing,and i've spent hours trying to get rid of it,to no avail.it's driving me nuts trying to stay online and fighting to continual popups and shutdowns.i'm pretty sure how and when it got in,but that's no help now,LOL.the problem is shaking it.it got by all my defenses almost definitely through an email that i was too quick to open.soon as i hit the button i knew it was too late:mad:
    anyway,is there any FREE,simple way to rid myself of this.every malware removal tool i've found,wants money.they'll scan,but when it comes to fixing,it's gonna cost.
    please keep in mind that i'm no geek,so going deep into my puter could be risky business,LOL.
    i think it's a conspiracy by bill gates to get more money from us by creating this stuff,then selling us more softwae to get rid of it.

please help before i jump out of my 3rd floor window:eek:

2. seethe303

seethe303 Senior Executive Member

I use AVG Direct, which will usually get trojans and other more serious type bugs.

and Ad Aware, which will usually get spyware and tracking cookies and whatnot.

they are both free, and I very rarely have a problem.

3. Try http://www.emsisoft.com/en/
    Scroll down to a-squared Hijackfree and a-aquared.

Tom N.

4. I am running the free Ad-Aware and the free AVG. Working great on several computers.

5. Rick www.pcworld.com do a search in downloads supper site i have been getting there magzine for years,they have thousands of free downloads. I run AVG it is free also. Key in Malware remover there is quite a few,also www.pctools.com Fishguy

6. liquidsoap

liquidsoap Pay-it-foward fisherman

Hijackthis is the only antivirus I use on my computer. Its not an antivirus, but it tells you everything that is running on your computer. I can delete it by will, and I have never had a problem with anything. Best thing is its free.

Type Hijackthis into google or download.com. Version 2.0 is the best.

7. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

thanks for the replies.i'm running avg,adaware,windows blocker,etc and it still got through.i've also tried several other programs,did system restore as well as spending the last 3 hours deep scanning/cleaning with a-squared.nothing has worked.
    one thing i could try is going into task manager,but apparently it has locked that too and i've tried all i know to get into it:confused:

any more ideas?never mind the thought of shooting it,cause i already am contemplating that:rolleyes:

8. seethe303

reformat your hard drive? its not a bad idea to do this every so often anyway.

9. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

thanks for reminding me about hijackthis,soap.i hope i'm not speaking too soon,but i think that did it.lots faster and easier than everything else too.

10. You need to go into your start button, hit search all files and type malware. then after it brings up the files it is in then follow each directory path to the file then delete it. It is very time consuming but it can be done. I just had to do the samething on my sister's computer a couple months ago. Try that.

11. liquidsoap

liquidsoap Pay-it-foward fisherman

Some malware files you can not delete.
    They will either be locked or re-appear a few minutes later..

I suggest Hijackthis to everyone who owns a computer.
    Scan your computer once a month and delete anything that looks out of place.
    But be careful dont delete everything. Some are necessary for your computer to run.

12. Hope its gone, but System restore usually wont get rid of those sorts of things, unless you're also reformatting the harddrive(s). Thanks for sharing Hijackthis with us liquidsoap.

13. these things can be a major pain. you can spend so much time getting rid of it that , like the other poster said.....sometimes it's easier to just save your data files and wipe your harddrive and start over. trust me, done it numerous times!

14. Fishpro

Fishpro Northcoast Madman

Funny you should mention it Misfit. I got hit with something last night and woke up to a crashed computer.:mad: I'm typing this on my new one.:rolleyes: Whatever got me disabled my anti-virus and I couldn't fix it.:confused:

15. FOSR

FOSR name of Alex

One risk of wiping the drive clean is losing the drivers for video, audio, peripherals, etc., and then you have to go find them on disk or online.

16. Did you get it fix Misfit? I always go to this site and let it scan my computer... Haven't had any problems since.... www.trendmicro.com.

Then click on Free Online Services, another page will pop up then click on HouseCall™ Free Scan, another page pops up and click launch house call free scan. Then click on yes I except the Terms of use.. and click launch housecall. It will download files needed to fix problems and then click scan complete computer for malware, grayware, vulnerabilities. It might take some time depending your speed of your computer and connection to the internet.

I scan my computer here at least once a week.... Haven't had any problems since...

Hope this takes care of the problems.
    GarryS

17. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

garry,thought i did,but now i have another problem.trojan horse got through somehow and is really screwing things up.ran fine after the last deal,but several hours later,this thing popped up:mad:
    so far nothing has worked.avg catches and heals,but it comes right back:confused:

18. seethe303

reformat. you're machine will be clean as a whistle, and it will probably seem to run faster for a while. its a win win!

19. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

reformat seems like the only solution now.the only problem is i need to get a new xp disk$$$$:(