close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Making your own Boilies "QUESTION"

Discussion in 'Carp Discussions' started by atrkyhntr, May 14, 2005.

1. Hey Gang...
    I know many of you purchase your own but for those that make their own I can't help but wonder why they are cooked and not used as is after mixing a batch... Anyone?
    Here is my thought process the only reasons to cook them to me is to make them last longer shelf life wise and because you can toss them out for chum farther when in the harder form... Also maybe they are better is this form for the hair rig...
    My reasons for not cooking them and I will test this out is because once cooked it seems to me that they would not give out much as much scent since their break down process would take so much longer so not cooking them would allow them to slowly break down putting out much more scent and also having a better in the mouth feel for carp... I think they could be froze and used in the same manner as if they were cooked because they could thaw out in the water...
    Come on gang chime in with some reasons on why they are cooked (boiled)... I wish Buckeye Bob had more time to chime in too...
    THANKS in advance
    Clyde

2. Cause I don't like to eat em raw!!!!!!!!! :D :D

3. Reasons:
    Shelf life-months

Better on a hair-don't have to wonder if you threw them off on a long cast.

Pop up-just nuke them after they been boiled and they will pop up or float.

Stops the %^%&^%&^ crawdads from stripping your bait,cook them a tad longer and increase some parts of the mix to make the boile rock hard.

Carp don't mind if they crunch,here on the pond they seem to like it as they go on there merry way gorging on Zebra's.

Something to do over the winter-as you know we here on the northcoast are blessed with a long winter so it gives you something to do,try new recipes,new flavors etc.. then seal and freeze for use come open water.

Just a few thoughts.

4. exexec
    I never thought of that one ;) :D

ohioiceman
    aww I see some of your reasons I never thought of... I heard some of the guys talking about "old" boilies they bought were no longer good so I was thinking why and needed to ask some questions to find some answers...
    I am still having probs with the popups because
    after a bit they tend to sink too... :(
    I am thinking of trying some small styrofoam wrapped boilies and see how that works ??? hmnmnmn
    THANKS for the reply man!!!

5. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

One thing, the obvious (to me anyhow) what would you call them if you don't boil them? Rawlies?? Carp balls ?? :p
    I heard somewhere it was to hold them together.

6. hmnmnm Jim you may have something there...
    Carp Balls just isn't PG enough
    and Rawlies sounds like something to do with baseball...

7. If you don't boil them then it's just another type of dough bait...and I know at least a few people have fished with boilie "dough". The reasons for boiling...as Iceman pretty much summed up...is the whole reason why many people choose to fish with boilies rather than dough in the first place. Personally, though...I've mostly stayed away from boilie fishing (except for the occasional pineapple popup or Buckeye Bob's Pineapple Banana boilies) and have never made my own.

And you'd be surprised at how much leaks out of a boilie...particularly a well made one. There are really two approaches to this. The high-attract boilies are basically "overflavored" so that they stand out from the rest of the surroundings...these are the ones you can still smell even after you've double sealed them in ziploc baggies. This is typically the type of boilie I fish and I've done quite well on them. What's important to realize, though...particularly if you are baiting up a swim with mass quantities of boilies...is that carp are much better at detecting smells/tastes (basically chemicals to them) in the water than we can imagine. A bait that we would assume has a neutral, almost tasteless/scentless characteristic to it might be very attractive to carp that are able to detect the minute flavors/scents when in water. Often times, this is the type of food carp are looking for, not the stuff that smells like it should be in a candy store (even though a carp is almost certain to try these smelly ones at least once). A lot of people over flavor their baits...often enough less is better than more.

Lucky enough for us, though...we have enough carp swimming around in our lakes and rivers that you're bound to catch at least a few on almost anything you try :D .

8. I guess I'll still boil mine SIGH ;)
    I have purchased a couple flavors I just tried in a coupel batches and I'll get out later this week to try them out...
    I also tweeked some sweet corn with these flavors too which adds to my already van/corn syrup that did very well last year and better then stright canned sweet corn...
    I have tried to make a couple doughs but have not liked the results and will give it another go soon too...