Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Sitting somewhere fishing
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to start experimenting in making soft plastics so does anybody know of a reliable source to start or can help me themselves? Any responses would be appreciated because I already have a an idea

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
889 Posts
Are you looking to start hand pouring our injecting.Either way what is it your looking to know.I may be able to give you a hand.I've been at it a few years.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I have been researching it as well. Youtube is a great source of info as well as this forum. The reason I mention youtube is that seeing is believing kinda thing. LOL

I need info as well...thinking mostly in hand pouring to start with then working my way up from there. The info I am seeking is where to buy (to save the most money). I have been looking at Alumilite products lately. But the question I am asking myself "Is this the right place to buy from?".

·
Registered
19 Posts
Jann’s Netcraft (located in Maumee, Ohio just outside of Toledo) has a great starter kit for pouring your own soft plastics. The kit runs $49.95 and includes 5 molds with injectors, the soft plastic material, coloring, glitter, and a full color instruction sheet. They also have some great information on their website as well as a video to watch on pouring your own soft plastic baits.

Worm Making Kit

Instructions for Making Soft Plastics

·
Registered
19 Posts
hey bass boss was just browsing through some old threads and saw this one if you any questions or need help feel free to send me a message I've been doing the soft plastics for the last 6 years and have a pretty good idea what I'm doing just remember be safe when playing with the plastic and its addicting LOL enjoy

·
Registered
245 Posts
Jann’s Netcraft (located in Maumee, Ohio just outside of Toledo) has a great starter kit for pouring your own soft plastics. The kit runs $49.95 and includes 5 molds with injectors, the soft plastic material, coloring, glitter, and a full color instruction sheet. They also have some great information on their website as well as a video to watch on pouring your own soft plastic baits.

Worm Making Kit

Instructions for Making Soft Plastics

Netcraft Soft Plastic Video

I hate to say this but jans plastic stuff is junk and high price. Most people that are serious about this use rtv molds or aluminium molds. Further more who ever came up with the bright ideal of hot plastic being molded in plastic should go back to school and learn physics.

·
Registered
19 Posts
amen to that bigfoot, have you used the lure crafts Green plastic its more expensive but by far it has less smoke than any other plastic on the market that I've used plus the odor is low and its PHTHALATE FREE! go custom or go home

·
Registered
270 Posts
ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1396058462.803233.jpg here is a tube bait I made tonight, it's not perfect but I'm just learning how to make tubes. I melt my plastics down in a 1 cup glass measuring cup then dip a screwdriver down in the hot plastic 3-4 times for my desired thickness. I let it cool down then rolled it off. Then on the hollow open end of the tube I dipped it back in the hot plastic til I got a solid one inch worm like tail. Let it cool then took scissors and cut the two legs. Hoping to make more but get better looking tubes eventually!

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Attachments

·
USMC 1997-2007
780 Posts
I buy pourable plastic, glitter, and color dyes from Jann's Netcraft; but I made my own moulds from fiberglass resin for hand pouring. It works really well. My favorite mould is my Yamamato Senko mould. I even recycle my old busted up plastics now. When all colors are mixed together, they come out to a dark brown pumpkin color. I use a glass Pyrex measuring cup to heat them up to liquid in the microwave, then pour new baits. Easy to clean up too. I've even used baking clay to make my own designs.

·
Registered
245 Posts
amen to that bigfoot, have you used the lure crafts Green plastic its more expensive but by far it has less smoke than any other plastic on the market that I've used plus the odor is low and its PHTHALATE FREE! go custom or go home
Will be going green after this batch of plastic is used up.

I inject mostly with some hand pouring for special effects.

·
USMC 1997-2007
780 Posts
View attachment 93421 here is a tube bait I made tonight, it's not perfect but I'm just learning how to make tubes. I melt my plastics down in a 1 cup glass measuring cup then dip a screwdriver down in the hot plastic 3-4 times for my desired thickness. I let it cool down then rolled it off. Then on the hollow open end of the tube I dipped it back in the hot plastic til I got a solid one inch worm like tail. Let it cool then took scissors and cut the two legs. Hoping to make more but get better looking tubes eventually!

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
That's a simple, but great idea for making tubes! Thanks for sharing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts