close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Making poles vs buying poles

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Agent47, Sep 12, 2007.

1. Agent47

Agent47 Trying to pull it in!!!!

Thought ide start a little hobby this winter and see if its worth my time making poles.
    A buddy made me a pole as a gift last year and its been pretty dependable, was neat to see the stick he had full of all differant kinds of colored thread and line for the eyes and etc.
    I started to wonder tho, is it just as much to buy one tho ?
    I wasnt gonna remark on his skill or debate his hobby in any way im just looking at it from a perspective of a guy who would have to start from scratch.
    I didnt see any of the "common" names on his poles to see if the ones they make for people who do this are any differant or better.
    So im curious
    Worth it or not ?

{might be cheaper than my pond idea}

2. I don't think there is a big cost cavings advantage of buying a stock -decent quality- rod or building your own on that same blank. However, you can make it the way you like it, your component selection, your prefered handel lenght & style.... From a price point though, (assuming you are buying complete rod or building components retail) I don't think there is a big advantage to building.

It is enjoyable, somewhat relaxing, and gratifying. I have built several rods, but am by no means an expert. My only advice would be to get a prepackaged kit, but make sure the kit has a good quality blank. The verry first rod I built was an inexpensive kit from Cabellas, it came out functional, but I never use it and wish I had spent the extra $25 on a kit with a higher end blank.

3. There is no cost savings whatever. Buying any manufactured rod is cheaper than making your own. Just price a high quality guide set and a rod blank and the handle and you are already past what many good manufactured rods sell for.

You can get by with a minimum of tools but it greatly adds to the difficulty in making a presentable rod. I used to custom make rods but had to stop when my eyesight caused the hobby I liked to be a pain. I still build an occassional rod for myself but no longer sell them. I built some ice fishing rods last year for myself. It was still enjoyable but my quality ( eyesight ) has certainly slipped.

Try checking on ebay for equipment and tools to get an idea of the investment you would be looking at. Look under sports--> fishing--> rod building

4. thinking papaperch has a handle on this subject.
    I've looked at building rods more than once. Ya cann't build em for comperable quality retail.

Building em for yourself........custom......is about a break even IF you are a good rod builder. The mental/creative side adds value to YOUR finished rod.

5. Agent47

well

thanks for the input guys, I dont want to buy an entire kit for 1 rod then and I know I wont be selling em.

looks like thats a 1 done deal.

:eek:

6. I have to disagree with store bought being the same price as home built. For example, Cabelas and J. Stockard have a Sage VT2 kit for about $230 and the price of the pre-built is $415. I just saw that J. Stockard has Sage SLT kits for $295 and the rods are $400-550. The kits come with everything that you need except a rod turner and that can be done by hand.

7. Eriesteamer

Eriesteamer BORN TO RIDE THE WAVES

Can you give me nancys address.she hates fishing loves fishermen.man thats the one for me.hope she does not mind the fish smell on me.

8. rweis ; that may be true in that one instance but you can buy a lot of good rods for less than 230.00. I first got started in rod building when you could not find a long spinning rod. So I took old fly 9 ' rod blanks and put spinning guides and handles on them. That was back in the late sixties. If one wants to do it as a hobby thats great. But the extra tools needed to fine tune a rod to make a presentable product add up fast.

Rod dryer - used to slowly rotate rod so finish dries evenly
    Spline finder - to determine the flat spot on the blank
    Rasps - to fit handle to blank several sizes needed
    Rod wrapper- yes you can do it by hand but a good rod wrapper , is necessary to produce a quality product.
    Wrapping gauge- to lay out rod

I could go on and on here but suffice to say I have never seen a kit from anybody have everything that you need.

9. Agent47

10. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

i'm with papa.i think back in the 60's-70's you could build a good rod for a little less,but then that was just materials.nowadays,it's different.with the exception of the very high priced rods mentioned,you'll not save money even on materials for a comparable factory rod.in fact,you're probably in the hole the first few rods just paying for equipment.as papa said,there are a lot of tools,etc needed to do the job right.i've pondered building for years and researched a lot,and decided to spend my time fishing rather than building rods i could buy as cheap;)

11. Rweis.....you may have a point for higher end rods. Ya might be able to buy the materials and come out ahead. Ya don't build higher end rods without having the right equipment......because they don't turn out to be higher end rods.

There's 20-25 rods in my garage. Some are onboard, some are racked, some are standing in the corner. Some are retail bought, some are built, some are second hand with repairs. I wish any 10 of them was worth $1000.

There's all kinds of fishing rods made.........just like there are all kinds of fishermen.