close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Making my livewell dry

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by Scaupstopper, Jun 7, 2007.

1. Scaupstopper

Scaupstopper Duck Enemy #1

I dont use my aft livewell and would like to convert it to dry storage. It seems that merely not filling it does not keep the water out. What do I do to plug it up, but not permanantly so that I can use it for dry storage?

I have a tracker targa.

2. Toxic

Toxic Defensor Fortis

I placed a plug in mine and it worked fine. Maybe your not using the right size?

3. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

you will have to plug up the intake as well,but then none of them will work as a livewell.

4. Scaupstopper

The rear livewell always seems to have water in it, regardless of whether or not the plug is in. Seems like it doesnt drain out the drain hole. I might have something caught in there though. It seems like I have multiple intakes, so I will have to figure out which is which. I could probably do that with a hose though.

5. If you plug the intake it will keep it dry. You should unhook the pump, so you don't accidentally burn it up. My Targa 2000 has seperate pumps for each livewell. Is your Targa an aluminum hull?

Tim

6. Scaupstopper

Yes, it is aluminum. SHould I unplug the pump from the dash? I would guess that plugging the intake is all I should have to do. What do I plug it with?

7. Doctor

Doctor CJ Cat Attack Pack

When I installed my 125 gallon livewell I took the pumps from the 32 gallon livewell and installed them in the new livewell, the old holes that were in the 32 gallon well I used Hoffman electrical hole covers, there round have a gasket on them and a wing nut,they come in several different sizes any electrician can get them for you, I used a cork to plug the overflow for high water in the 32 gallon, now my 32 gallon is a dry storage area, it was way too small to hold any fish so the conversion was a practical idea..............Doc